Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Probs connecting to WiFi

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 oreofudge

oreofudge

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

Hi guys,

I have my friend's HP ProBook 4530s running W7Pro which he was having probs with cuz didn't have an antivirus running, so I installed ZoneAlarm, and found some issues that were taken care off, but after running its own HP Update software it said that needed to update the Atheros drivers, it did, but after that no more wireless since, only LAN.

Have tried to rollback and reinstall with no luck, might it be some hidden software or virus jamming it, etc... prompt help is much needed since laptop needed for work, thanks! ;-}#

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

Is your Windows 7 32bit or 64bit. Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy the first line into your next post. I think this is a Atheros 5007 but I want to confirm it.

#3 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:42 PM

64-bit...

It detects a Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter... supposedly "working properly" but not true, connects via LAN only... as per what the first line says under "Hardware ID":

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_1461103C&REV_02

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:59 PM

Download and install the driver here. I would create a restore point before installing and I would also create a System Repair Disk if you do not have one.

#5 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:53 PM

...it seems to have installed the same Atheros AR9285, although when I go to "Hardware ID" it reads the same line I copied before, just changed from ...REV_02 to ...REV_01, but still no WiFi connection. The icon shows the crossed-out gray bars with the "no connections available" message; if I click on "troubleshoot" it ends with "the wireless network adapter is experiencing problems" message... ocassionally the blue screen comes up showing, amongst other technical info "igdpmd64.sys"... any other hint?

#6 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

...this is a pic of the blue screen.

Attached Files

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

That sys file is part of the intel graphics driver. I am not sure how it relates to your Network Driver. Have you tried doing a system restore to a date before the HP updates? If the system restore does not work there is another location to get the latest driver. I can post that if System Restore fails or you wish to try it first.

#8 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

I've tried to do a system restore but it does not follow thru, can't remember the exact message it ends up showing but I could try it again, I see there are various restore points, they go back a week or so... I could go down that path if you think it's worth a shot, unless that other link you have may solve the issue. Thanks!

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:24 PM

I am not sure this will solve the BSOD issue as that is a graphics drive issue. Download the wireless driver here. Click on the green download button. It is a zip file. Unzip the file to a folder on the desktop. You only need 3 of the six files. Delete the three that do not have a X suffix. The files with a X suffix are your 64bit drivers. There is no installer. Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Update Driver > Have Disk and point it to the inf file in the folder. If this does not work then try the System Restore again. Any file or folder added to the desktop after the Restore Point will be lost so move any files or folder you have to your Documents Folder.

You may want to disable your Security Software before trying the System Restore.

#10 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

Sorry for the late response, but did as you recommended with no luck, so now thinking in doing a Windows Re-install but without deleting my friend's info! ;-]#

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:47 PM

You may be better off disabling the wireless adapter in Device Manager and using a USB wireless adapter like this.

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/global/wireless_adapters_n150/ew-7811un

Edit: Have you tried connecting after uninstalling Zonealarm?

Edit Edit: If you decide to purchase the USB adapter and have an Ebay account you can get it cheaper here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 March 2015 - 09:57 PM.

#12 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 02:26 AM

Did you uninstalled zonealarm and reinstalled the drivers to atheros

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#13 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 09:39 PM

...Not yet, but will do so and get back to you guys in a bit, thanks! ;-]#

#14 oreofudge

oreofudge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:05 PM

...that worked, uninstalled ZoneAlarm and WiFi it's up and running, yet I need to install minimal security, any recommendations?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

Glad you got it fixed. For a install and forget it AV that has good detection you can install Bitdefender Free or Panda Free and use the standard Windows Firewall. Of the two I lean toward Bitdefender Free.

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 March 2015 - 10:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users