Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My nights in shining armor, I need you yet again!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Momadice

Momadice

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

Symptoms of a problem:    On a acer laptop running windows 8.1 OS

In the middle of my midterms I powered down; I couldn’t bear even the slightest led as I was computer screen washed out.

Turning on my computer immediately revealed something was a-muck. And since, after running the usual antivirus programs, I have discovered a few more issues.  Yet my antivirus(s) didn’t pick up any concerns or find any viruses.

Turned on computer

1. All my icons were perfectly to the right hand side of my monitor.  I didn’t do this.
  2. I started getting some website errors, like 404 not found warnings for sites I am constantly on with school.
  3. I have a huge assignment that I am working on and it has its own folder on my desktop.  I was getting tired of reading all my folder names, as they are difficult to see, so I went into folder properties to change the icon to something that would stand out so I could quickly locate it on my desktop. My laptop ignored the button that says APPLY and OK.  I of course put it down to my error and tried again, still my icon selection was not taking effect.  I looked carefully at the properties of my folder and ‘read only’ was ticked.  I did not do this either.  Just to make sure there was a problem I tried a couple other icon changes and none of them took either. They to were ticked with 'read only'
  4. My internet connection is unbearably slow.  I tweaked my router with a new password, just in case someone had decided to piggy back me, and the internet was almost crawling to the point of just hanging.
  5. I thought I would try a system restore, as I am diligent about creating a restore point before I make any major changes to my laptop. THERE WERE NO RESTORE POINTS TO BE FOUND!
  6. I used Rkill to enhance my antivirus scans and the following programs were run by me without picking up any problems.
    1. Malwarebytes
    2. Eset
    3. Emsisoft
    4. Adware
    5. jRT
    6. tdsskiller
    7. tried analyzing with auto runs
    8. used tcpview.  to no avail really as I don't understand what I am looking for.
    9. used CCleaner to look up auto-start programs, and ran a duplicate file scan.  This is so interesting, I have a zitillion of duplicate files upwards of 15-20 for the same file all created on the same day which is 27th February. I have opted to wait before addressing them in case you would like see for yourself.

Absolutely nothing has been detected, and absolutely everything is crawling.

It looks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, so I'm thinking it is a duck.  What do you think?

Edited by Momadice, 01 March 2015 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Momadice

Momadice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

I have been saving some screen shots using your directions under tutorials.  I am not sure how to post them on this topic. However, if they are better than the information I have I will post them wherever they are required.

Edited by Momadice, 05 March 2015 - 11:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users