Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Powerline Compatability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 19nffc77

19nffc77

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:43 PM

Hi,

I have just started living in a shared house with walls that are such that the wifi signal doesn't reach all over the house so I have just bought a set of max digital power line adapters to use with a macbook pro mid 2012. They have 3 lights which are power, ethernet and data. When I plugged them in after the initial start up sequence the power light was mainly solid but flashed occasionally and the ethernet and data lights went mad flashing continuously.

When I tried to load a web page it took about 10 minutes to load a page. After a little investigation I found that the person at the other end of the house had the same solution using a different brand of power line adapters. I unplugged his network cable from the router and my connection burst into life so I'm pretty sure that there is too much interference between the two sets of adapters.

Is it well known that two sets of power line adapters won't work on the same network or is it a difference brands/ models of adapter? Can I change any settings to deconflict the problems that I am seeing?

Apologies if I haven't given enough information but would appreciate anyone offering advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:03 PM

Hi,

The power line adapters should be compatible each others to extend the network and that's why they are interfering.

I think they should work if you create "two different networks", ask the other person to disconnect the adapters an connect only yours to the power line, force them to re-associate again this usually force the adapters to use a different encryption key and should make them ignore the other two.

Ask the other person to connect the power line adapters and connect only one of your max digital devices then wait for the device to start, confirm that the Power Line led doesn't light until you connect the second max device.

Edited by SleepyDude, 01 March 2015 - 05:04 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 19nffc77

19nffc77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

Thanks mate that makes sense. I'm away from the house for a week or so but I'll give it a try when I get back and let you know how I get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users