Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethernet error (Code 10)???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:03 PM

I've posted my concern HERE on Windows Answers but have not received any response that is helpful. Hopefully it will be different here.

Hi,

I unplugged everything from the back of my PC to clean behind my desk and when I plugged everything back in I found I have a problem with connecting to the Internet.

When checking the Device Manager to see wht might be wrong I found that the Ethernet drivers keep coming up with this error:

"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found the drivers for your device but encountered an error while installing it.

XXXXXX (Tried a Links G wireless and the on board Ethernet, don't remember what it is, but same error for both)

The device cannot start (Code 10)"

Anyone?,

Thanks,

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:35 PM

My only experience with an error 10 code is with the network communications being inoperative.  Possibly a bad driver.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hello.

Welcome to BC.  Do you have more than one ethernet port on the back of your computer?  Did you maybe plug it into the wrong one?  Check and double check all the connections you made.  It could be that when you unplugged the Network cable it damaged the NIC on the computer.  This would probably give you a code 10.  Try a simple shutdown / disconnect / check all the connections. If the NIC is not attatched to the motherboard and is instead a NIC card you may have knocked the card out of the socket.  Some more information about your computer would be helpful.  After visiting the page you linked I see that you have resolved your issue.  Most likely it is a damaged NIC.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:08 PM

One of the most common causes for the error code 10 is a bad driver.

Have you tried the Update Driver option in the Device Manager?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users