Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading HP hard drive that crashed, have no OS restore disc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 that1redhead

that1redhead

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi

I have a cheap HP2000 - Model #2000-2b09WM that the (320gb)hard drive went out of.  I am searching for the best deal on a 500GB, 5400, SATA 2.5" hard drive to replace it.  My issue is that the computer completely crashed and I hadn't made any restore disc's at all.  Is there a way to install the original OS, Windows 8, without having to pay for a disc?  I don't want to put out the $$ if it's going to be less expensive to buy another cheap laptop. 

Thanks in advance.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

If the laptop came with Windows 8 then the key is embedded in firmware. Go here and download the Windows 8.1 media. Make sure  you download the same version you have. The media needs to be downloaded from a Windows 7 or 8 computer.

#3 that1redhead

that1redhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

Thanks JohnC_21  The laptop I will use came preinstalled with Windows 8.1 but the HP came with Windows 8 and was upgraded to 8.1.  So will I download Windows 8 or Windows 8.1?  Thanks again.  :)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

The link I provided I believe is only for Windows 8.1. If you updated to 8.1 and everything is fine it should work for you. You may have to download some additional drivers after the install but those should be easy to get.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:38 PM

Added note the COA sticker on the bottom of the LT will have the product key.

Edited by OldPhil, 02 March 2015 - 02:38 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:00 PM

I believe OEM computers with Windows 8 do not have a COA sticker on the laptop as the key is now embedded in firmware.

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,755 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:48 AM

I believe OEM computers with Windows 8 do not have a COA sticker on the laptop as the key is now embedded in firmware.

http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

I believe that this is true for HP laptops, the last one I bought did not have a COA sticker.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users