Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

kernal data inpage error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 garganof

garganof

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

Two of my computers are giving me this error message. One is windows vista and one is windows 8. The computer shuts down. It will not let me run a full Norton's scan either. 

Anyone know what I need to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

Hi garganof :)

Usually, that BSOD is caused by a bad sector on the drive, which can fixed using CHKDSK /r. Try it on both computers and let me know the outcome.

EndqYRa.pngCheck Disk (chkdsk)
Follow the instructions below to run a CHKDSK scan on your Windows partition;
  • On Windows Vista & 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, then enter cmd in the search box, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator
  • On Windows 8, drag your cursor in the bottom-left corner, and right-click on the metro menu preview, then select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • On Windows 8.1, right click on the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner and select Command Prompt (Admin);
  • Enter the command chkdsk /r (there's a space between "chkdsk" and "/r") and press on Enter;
  • A message will be returned, stating that the drive cannot be locked because it's already in use, and you'll be asked if you want to schedule the scan for the next restart. Enter y and press on Enter;
  • Restart your computer, and the chkdsk scan will be launched automatically;
  • WARNING: Depending on your hard drive (specs, free space, fragmentation, etc.) this scan can be relatively long to complete. Give it all the time it needs to finish. Do not interrupt it for any reason there is, or you might be damaging your drive in the process and make your Windows unbootable. It's suggested to let this scan run overnight or when you leave the house for a few hours (when you go to work for example). If you are running this scan on a laptop, don't forget to leave it plugged in;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users