Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ip camera new wifi network no ethernet connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scrape

Scrape

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:18 PM

Hi,

I am trying to install an Ip camera on an newly installed wifi LAN at home. The new LAN has no ethernet connections so the installation software, which requires the initial set up via an ethernet cable, does not work. The camera worked fine on my old LAN which was both wifi and ethernet cable.

My new modem (described as an 'access point') is a D-link DAP-2360 Wireless N PoE Access Point. I imagine I need to write some information about addresses and ports from the 'access point' to the camera but have no way of doing this .

The camera which I think is badged in multiple guises is described as IP CAM - ISpy software seems to recognise this as IPCam L Series

The installation software came from http://zebion.in/download/security/ip%20ptz%20cam%20software/LSearch_en.exe

- any advice would be very welcome - thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

do you still have your old router? there is no reason you can't turn off the DHCP, turn on the wireless and connect to whatever wireless network you are now. Then use the router's ports to set up the camera. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

Who supplied this access point?  Your ISP?  Any idea why?

You don't have a private lan without a router in place.  This should be of major concern to you.

#4 Scrape

Scrape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

Ok ...... so I think the responses generate more questions but many thanks to you both for your interest. I'll address the access point without a router question first as I imagine that this seems to imply a security problem and I may need to end up with a different set-up which might negate the CaveDweller2's response.

I live in a rural area so no realistically useable broadband along the telephone wires. A trial satellite system is being installed for ourselves and several near neighbours. At the moment one property has a satellite dish and (I presume) a 'box of tricks'. A couple of fancy antennae squirt the output from that 'box of tricks' to my house and a couple of neighbours. We each have a similar antenna which is connected to a D-Link access point. I connect to my new LAN with a password just as I had peviously with my old wifi lan and router sytem.

Does this leave my lan exposed to hacking? Does the security start at the 'box of tricks' attached to the sat dish?

Many thanks again for your interest

Scrape

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:02 PM

That "box of tricks" sounds like a router with a captive portal.  Its the captive portal [like you get at hotels] that is requiring the authentication so you can then get on the internet.

This also means you and your neighbors are on the same lan.  Doubt they would hack you but being on the same lan means if they get hacked or infected you can also.

Given the circumstances it would appear to be worth the risk.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:14 PM

Yeah nothing you said has any bearing on what I said to do. I wasn't talking about hooking up your old equipment permanently. Just use the router so your IP cam and PC can all be in the same subnet temporarily. Once you get into the cam's software or firmware or whatever, you can set it up to connect to your wireless. Then reboot it and see if it then connects. Then hook up your PC back the way it was.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users