Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WiFi will not connect - Possibly a hardware issue?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nickjwebster

nickjwebster

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:10 PM

Make and model of computer
HP Pavillion, p6-2427c

How the computer is connected (wireless or wired)

It is currently wired, but I am trying to address a wireless connection issue.

Make and model of Router

Not relevant.

Approximate Distance From the router the PC is if its a wireless connection

1 story, directly above. Also not relevant.

What type of internet you have (Dsl, Cable, T-1,etc..)

Cable

I have been using this computer and successfully connecting to the wifi for some time now. The other day, it lost connection. I tried to reconnect and it said it could not. I tried connecting to other wifi's and hotspots, and the same thing  happens. I have connected to the wifi with my ipad and cell phone without any problems. I can pick up the wireless signals, but when i try to connect it does not work. I have restarted my computer, restarted the router/moden, and have checked to make sure that all of my firewalls are turned off. I am at a loss. I need wifi back! Please help!

Thanks,
Nick

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

Uninstall the wireless from device manager and reboot. See if that helps. If not, get the latest drivers from the maker of the wireless card, uninstall again but this time click the box to completely uninstall. Then in programs uninstall any software there, that has to do with your wireless. Then install the new drivers/software. If none of that works, time for a new wireless adapter. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 nickjwebster

nickjwebster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

I tried everything you mentioned above with no luck. How can I be certain that it is my wireless card? I don't want to buy a new one only to find out that it wasn't the problem.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:33 PM

What error are you getting?  Besides it just won't connect.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 nickjwebster

nickjwebster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

"Can't Connect". No real explanation beyond that.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:20 PM

The last thing I could tell you to try is a restore point back when it worked. But hardware does go bad. And it can happen over night. You don't have to spend a lot of money. A little USB dongle would do. This one is either the one I have or like it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ1H08298 and it works great. There are some like this that are a little less. But less than $15 is pretty good.

#7 JackCheng

JackCheng

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:55 PM

There are a few of basic commands to diagnose a network problem that all network admins should know. Let's get down to the nifty gritty.

You have an trouble with a pc  in your network. It can't access to the internet and doesn't have any network resources. The first thing you should do is check the health of the physical connection i.e. the network cable. Next is secured, I jump to a command prompt and execute a IPCONFIG /all like so:

app5.png

I be sure the Internet protocol address, default gateway and subnet mask are correct. If they are not, I make my modifications and we are back online. Too bad the difficulties do not usually vanish entirely that easily. Next, I aim to ping the servers by IP using the ping command, like so:

app6.png

Now I look for DNS problem by pinging the name of server . If it fails, it's our internal DNS problem and I know where to move on to.

app7.png

If I obtain a correct response, I try to ping an internet site, e.g. www.ids-sax2.com. That tests external DNS resolution. If it works fine, the problem runs deeper. I might then execute a Netstat- a command to view who is connected to my PC and determine if perhaps a Trojan or virus has gained control over it.

app8.png

Everything looks clean. Now I'd try pathping or tracert between between your and the internet server to diagnose any remaining network problems. This place I can't show you as all the output would reveal my network settings and what not. I am not looking to create more problems!

I have been using this application for more than a decade to diagnose network problems! If you cannot figure out what is going on and why you cannot get to the resource you are trying to, then the issue might be network-related and has nothing to do with your machine. First, check if you can get to the resource from a different machine.

Then it might be time to fire up Unicorn (which used to be called Ethereal, covered here for you old schoolers). Unicorn will listen to your network adapter for all traffic and responses. The answer is in the data but you do need to know how to read it. There are lots of good resources online or you could always come knocking at http://www.ids-sax2.com/Unicorn/Tutorials/Howto.htm with your output and ask us to help!

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:32 PM

When you say you can "pick up wireless signals", do you mean you can see the WiFi access points listed as available networks? Are you sure you are entering and authentication information, like passwords, correctly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users