Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VPN security question?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:02 PM

I am just wondering... If I use a VPN, more specifically the teamviewer VPN via my own private PC set up in my house (as in not a VPN service). Can websites detect that I am using a VPN, or detect my ACTUAL location? I thought an SSH tunnel was secure, but one day a website came up with an error because I was not in my own country at the time.

Am using google chrome on windows 7. Have told it not to allow any sites to track my location, but I all other settings are default.

Btw, I am not using this for any illegal purposes before I get 20 people start accusing me of stuff....

Edited by noz03, 01 March 2015 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:44 PM

When you VPN into another computer all of your traffic looks like it comes from that computer.  So, in your example it would look like your traffic would be coming from your home PC.

#3 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:49 AM

True ish. You should use a proxy, w a vpn. Ie vpn to a proxy site & go where u want after.
CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:58 PM

They detected your DNS and blocked you. Using Firefox as a example... Once you setup SSH tunneling and setup Firefox proxy, you also need to enable remote proxy DNS in Firefox's config. To do that you go to the URL field at the top of Firefox and type about:config (hit enter) click yes to agree. At the top search field enter network.proxy.socks_remote_dns  right-click and choose Toggle. This toggles False to True. That should allow Frefox to do server side DNS query.

#5 trapti11

trapti11

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:44 AM

No, if you use VPN then it is not possible to detect your exact location, as per my experience. As I also use VPN but I have not faced any problem like this.

#6 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 06:19 AM

I would just suggest to use paid VPN instead of free 

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:38 AM

There is also the issue of split tunnel vpn. If on a vpn and you still have access to your local network that is a split tunnel vpn.  In such a situation there is the possibility that some local traffic can get out to the internet without going though the vpn.  This could result in having your actual location being detected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users