Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long beeps at boot - problems with keyboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luke88

Luke88

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

Hello,

I seem to be happening random problems with an Acer laptop booting up.

When trying to boot the laptop one of the following will happen:

1 -- Long beeps prior to booting Window (just after the BIOS screen) and will not go any further.
2 -- PC will boot into Windows but the as soon as it gets to the log on screen it starts typing random numbers and letters. Sometimes I can type but for every key I press about 5 random characters appear.

Laptop is running Windows 8.1 without any recent hardware or software changes. I have tried booting into a virtual machine and BIOS, and the random character thing also happens there which leads me to believe this to be a hardware.

Just as I was about to attach a USB keyboard to test this, I rebooted the machine and it booted up without any problems at all. This first happened last weekend and then just randomly started working the next day and the same seems to be happening.

Not sure if anyone has had this issue before or can recommend anything to try? Would replacing the laptop keyboard be the next option?

Other than the issue above the laptop runs fine so I am keen to fix this rather than replace the machine.

Thanks
Luke

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

This sounds like a stuck key problem on the keyboard.  Did you happen to spill anything in on or around the keyboard recently?  It could also just be a stuck key for failing keyboard.

If you bring up notepad when the problem is happening ... It should type the keys that are stuck

#3 Luke88

Luke88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:32 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Nothing has been spilt on the keyboard but it does seem as if a key is stuck as this would explain the beeping noise during boot.

The problem has occurred again with the 'q' key the number 6 is shown. However it does not seem to happen every time (example below):

6q6q6qqqqqqqqq6q6qqq6qqq6qqqqqqq6q6qq6666qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq6

Plugged an external USB keyboard in and it works fine.

Thanks

Luke

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

Well the reason it works with the external keyboard is because the system disables the laptop keyboard when you have the external one connected.  You maybe need to see if you can find a service manual for your laptop and remove/ clean it.  This process could permanently damage the keyboard though so I am not sure what advice to give you.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

I think YeahBleeping nailed the problem. Start with the easiest first; try a can of compressed air. If no joy, use a bit of alcohol on a paper towel to stroke between the keys. If still no results, you may have to take it into a shop. Cheaper to clean the keys that way than replace the computer. If you don't like that option, try Newegg or Amazon for portable keypads that will plug in USB and use it that way.

If the problem is 2 keys getting stuck, it would not be likely that two keys would mechanically fail at the same time, most likely dirt, dust, etc.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:38 PM

Even with the new machines, a new replacement shouldn't be more than $125.  You could replace it yourself.  The keyboards are built in such a way that attempting to clear stuck keys just damages more keys.  Then you have to replace it anyway.  Many units have such tiny keyboards that an external is essential.

#7 NunoLava1998

NunoLava1998

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:55 AM

A problem with your keyboard.

BIOS beep codes have an error code for keyboard unplugged, stuck keys can cause beeps too.

And since the USB keyboard is working fine, it must be your keyboard.

Try to replace your keyboard (Make sure it is compatible with your PC or laptop.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users