Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bad sectors

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 barrycoleridge

barrycoleridge

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

according to active smart I have 3 bad sectors pending-what exactly does this mean?-thank you 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:07 AM

It means that the hard drive cannot read those sectors. They are pending because the system will try and read the sectors and if successful will reallocate them. If not they will stay as pending. If you see current pending sectors increase rapidly then it is a sign of a failing drive.

Count of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of unrecoverable read errors). If an unstable sector is subsequently read successfully, the sector is remapped and this value is decreased. Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector immediately (since the correct value cannot be read and so the value to remap is not known, and also it might become readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and will remap it the next time it's written.[36] However some drives will not immediately remap such sectors when written; instead the drive will first attempt to write to the problem sector and if the write operation is successful then the sector will be marked good (in this case, the "Reallocation Event Count" (0xC4) will not be increased). This is a serious shortcoming, for if such a drive contains marginal sectors that consistently fail only after some time has passed following a successful write operation, then the drive will never remap these problem sectors.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

That means your hard drives' internal controller ' sees ' those sectors as bad and that there is data in those sectors that it plans on moving said data when it next reads that said data to a different location of the hard drive ' if and only if that data is readable '

Looks Like John beat me too it..

Edited by YeahBleeping, 01 March 2015 - 11:08 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

FWIW:  AFAIK...the only mechanism for getting bad sectors remapped would be to run the chkdsk /r command or format the existing partition...I don't believe that the hard drive/Windows remaps data without these two actions.  The hard drive is just a storage container...it is formatting and installing an O/S that makes it useable and without running the chkdsk /r command...all will stay as it was, since Windows otherwise will not automatically check for and attempt to move data found in bad sectors..

Louis

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

Also just a FYI, hard drives with bad sectors are much more likely to suddenly fail than those that have no bad sectors. I would recommend keeping frequent backups if you intend to continue using the drive.

If you read through wiki's smart information, take note of the portions highlighted in red, pending sector counts are considered a "serious" issue, however I have a few drives that lasted for years even after having bad sectors, but I have also seen some that went down hill very quickly after having 1 bad sector.

Edited by zingo156, 02 March 2015 - 11:07 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 barrycoleridge

barrycoleridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:47 AM

active smart 2.97 rating for my hard drive  is good-"no abnormal drive attributes were detected" 

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:06 AM

active smart 2.97 rating for my hard drive  is good-"no abnormal drive attributes were detected" 

It is quite normal for a drive to report "good" even with quite a few bad blocks, each drive generally has an allowable amount before any error is generated. SMART is not 100% accurate, it is a good warning system. Still I wouldn't count on that hard drive as being a reliable storage device, either way, having a backup is always a good idea. With spinning moving parts, failure is always possible at any time and with ransomware running wild, a decent backup plan is a recommendation even with perfect working hardware.

I thought I had posted the wiki SMART link already but maybe not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users