Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

I am trying to update  newly installed Win. 8 so I can install Win 8.1. Up[grade will not 

take, upon rebooting it has a failure to update and reverting changes(takes forever). I 

have had this problem before and usually doing a "troubleshoot updates" and a clean boot 

worked, even did a sfc/scannow. Nothing seems to work.Thanks in advance for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jman005

Jman005

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:11 AM

Did you use a Win 8.1 install disk or an ISO you found online?

Edited by Jman005, 01 March 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#3 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

Thanks, I did not download Win 8.1 yet, I am in the process of updating Win 8.0 to date to make Win 8.1 downloadable.When (if ever) I can get past the problem of the update not being accepted, I will download Win 8.1 directly from Windows store.

#4 Jman005

Jman005

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

Did SFC find corrupted files? If so, run this command in in command prompt:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Then run SFC /scannow again.

Edited by Jman005, 02 March 2015 - 09:21 AM.

#5 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:20 AM

Hello,

Once the scan has finished please provide the following log:

Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt
  • Right click on the aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39. button
  • Click on Run => Inside the run box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

Edited by Go The Power, 02 March 2015 - 03:21 AM.

#6 RootKit24

RootKit24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:16 PM

@dirkinjt download tweaking from the downloads tab here on bleepingcomputer. Once the .exe runs click on step 5 and click create under system restore. Once you do that, click on the repairs tab. Once you click on the repairs tab, you should see a Open Repairs selection. Click that and uncheck the first 4 and last option. Everything else should be checked. Then start the repair. It will prompt you to restart afterwards, do so.  If that does not work, I have another solution that will help.

#7 RootKit24

RootKit24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

@dirkinjt also, make sure all important windows updates are installed. If not you will be unable to upgrade to windows 8.1.

#8 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

@dirkinjt download tweaking from the downloads tab here on bleepingcomputer. Once the .exe runs click on step 5 and click create under system restore. Once you do that, click on the repairs tab. Once you click on the repairs tab, you should see a Open Repairs selection. Click that and uncheck the first 4 and last option. Everything else should be checked. Then start the repair. It will prompt you to restart afterwards, do so.  If that does not work, I have another solution that will help.

Thanks for the reply, I downloaded Tweak, looks like a great tool. Not sure what step five is, please explain.

#9 RootKit24

RootKit24

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

@dirkinjt, step 5 just makes a systems backup. Just in case anything was to happen to your computer. You could always use that system restore point to boot your computer back to a usable state.

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

Quick piece of advice, system images are more reliable than restore points. I would suggest you make one of them on an external drive also. The instructions on how to do it are below, the external drive must call itself a "local disk" rather than a "removable disk" for a system image to be placed on it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-image-recovery-in-windows-7-8/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/advanced-startup-options-menu-in-windows-8/

I have known system restore points to fail but have found images on external drives to be very reliable, they also might help you if you ever need to change the hard-drive some day. The usb drive or external hard drive you use must be larger than the system image, this comes to somewhere above 50 gigabytes for most systems if the system has a lot of programs installed it could be a few hundred gigabytes.

Edited by rp88, 04 March 2015 - 11:21 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users