Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgot admin password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:15 AM

Hi. My friend would like to use some help on her laptop. I already suggested that she should register here and ask directly but she was too busy at the moment. She bought an Acer Aspire laptop with the same specs as mine although it was from a 2nd hand store. It was a laptop with Windows 8 OS, iE7 processor, 4GB DDR3 L Memory, 500 GB HDD. She doesn't have any CDs with her when she bought it because she bought it in a rush. The store only sells laptop but with no installation CDs with them because it had a pre-installed OS. Back to her laptop, she's pretty annoyed for 2 weeks now because she can only access a local account in it. There was an admin account in it, though. I've tried doing things like installing bootable programs on USB that removes admin passwords but the laptop says it doesn't even have a boot option for it. I also manually enabled the boot-thingy on the BIOS. How can we get or remove the admin password?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jackery

Jackery

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:12 PM

I am sorry to hear that.

You can reset password with  a password reset disk, which is a recommended way. If you have no disk, you can reset password by another workable admin account, just login as the workable admin account, go to User Account and change the locked account password. You can use a Windows password recovery tool if these two ways can't work for you, please choose a reliable one if you want. Windows Password Recovery Tool from Tenorshare is a good one, I have fixed this issue with it, you can try

#3 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

She logs in to the computer with a local account. I'd give that tool a try.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft for Windows 7/8 and Vista:Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Articles for Windows 7/8 and Vista:Password Recovery Tools:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

Our only problem is that when I tried to use one software that resets an admin password, the computer says "System doesn't have an option boot-thingy." I already enabled the boot option at the BIOS menu. At the boot menu, the flash drive doesn't show up - only the system's hard drive is displayed. Even using advanced pc settings menu doesn't help. Still, I'd give those things a try... I have only tried a few at the moment.

Edited by LouieSchwann, 03 March 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

For a boot disk on Windows 8 make sure Secure Boot is disabled in BIOS/UEFI. If Fastboot is enabled, disable that also. Fastboot should be disabled in order to boot a USB flash drive. I would not reset the password but enable the hidden Administrator Account. With the Administrator Account enabled you can use that to change the user account passwords or add a new user account. You can change the password of the user account as long as it is a local password  and not a Windows Live Account password.

#7 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:02 PM

I really can't boot from USB, what should I do?

Edited by LouieSchwann, 26 March 2015 - 11:08 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

Did you make sure SecureBoot and Fastboot/Quickbootwas disabled in BIOS ? What did you use to create the bootable flash drive. I would try Rufus with the downloaded iso file here. Unzip the iso file and use Rufus to create the bootable flash drive.

#9 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

I can disable SecureBoot, but I can't disable quickboot. How do you disable it? I had already used rufus to run Hiren's Boot CD.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:00 PM

I am not familiar with your UEFI settings. Is Quickboot greyed out? See if you have a setting called Legacy Boot or CSM boot. Enable that and see if you can boot USB. You were able to boot Hiren's from a USB on the Acer?

#11 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:27 PM

I only have UEFI and Legacy boot and no, I wasn't able to boot Hiren's.

Edited by LouieSchwann, 27 March 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#12 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

Oh right, I can't disable quickboot because it needs an admin password.

Edited by LouieSchwann, 27 March 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:37 PM

Are you allowed to change between legacy and UEFI?  You may get the USB to boot if you enable legacy boot and use a program called Yumi with the iso file. In the dropdown box under step 2 select Offline NT Password & Registry Editor under System Tools. Then browse to the iso file  you downloaded for step 3. I would also check the format box. Make sure your Flash Drive is shown in Step 1. When you boot the USB flash drive, if it works, select System Tools in the menu and then Offline NT Password & Registry Editor.

#14 LouieSchwann

LouieSchwann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

And I hit something. Yes, I can change from UEFI to Legacy and I was able to boot Hiren's. There was a Password editor tool but it doesn't detect any HDDs of the system...

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2015 - 04:50 PM

I cannot help with Hirens as that software is against forum rules. I would try the latest iso I linked to in post #8 with Yumi and see if that works. It may even work with Rufus if  you got Hirens to boot using Rufus. The latest version I linked to may detect the drive. See my post #6 on using the software. If you are dealing with only one drive then it should be labeled sda. For a WIndows 8 computer you will see multiple partitions. sda1....sda2....sda3. Be sure to pick the one with Windows.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users