Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What happened, google chrome

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tenetive82

tenetive82

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

I opened up chrome and it was in "Windows 8 mode" I never set it to this, but I had no idea what it was or how to fix it so I ignored it and said to myself i'll deal with it later. But a little while later I opened chrome again, and it was back to the normal desktop mode. So is going on with my google. Has anyone else seen this?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 March 2015 - 10:50 AM.
Language edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tenetive82

tenetive82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

Just adding some more details:  I turned on my PC, launched google chrome from the start screen, and it had windows 8 mode turned on, also my search engine was swicthed to yahoo, I did not do this myself, I never go into the settings place. Then I tried opening Google from the desktop and it just brought me back to the windows 8 mode. Then some time passed with my browsing. And eventually I closed google, then maybe 20 minutes later I opened it again and everything was back to normal, it changed itself back to desktop mode, yahoo was still set as my defult browser but I was able to change it back. Any ideas what happened, why it was running in windows 8 mode then changed back?

#3 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 02:08 AM

What you were experiencing is the metro version of google for windows 8 there is also a desktop version. The metro version is basically a windows 8 crap app that is terrible. It's the version that you can access from the start screen. You should remove it if you can. As well as reinstall google. If the metro version is running or installed the desktop version will often default back to it.

You should also run ccleaner or TFC to clear your temp files, adwcleaner to clean out any PUPs and perform a virus scan. I've seen some very odd add on apps for the google windows 8 applications.

Edited by ChiefTech, 06 March 2015 - 02:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users