Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hijaak1986

hijaak1986

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:19 PM

I have asus computer windows 8.1. Went to start computer and it would not boot up. Sits at a black screen. What can I do

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

Hello, and Welcome

When Windows 8 shuts down it does not actually shut down like Windows 7. It is a hybrid shutdown that allows a fast boot when powered on. I can't guarantee that the following will work. Sometimes it does.

One is to hold the shift button while holding down the power button.

The other is to do the following. The computer may boot normally after the power button presses or it may take you to the troubleshooting section.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

Edit: if the above does not work, Remove the power adapter and the battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power adapter but not the battery and try powering on.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2015 - 07:50 PM.

#3 hijaak1986

hijaak1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:03 PM

Thanks still not working but at least I got to another part that tells me its not reading my drive

Edited by hijaak1986, 28 February 2015 - 08:04 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

You can create a bootable Seatools for DOS disk that will diagnose the hard drive. You would need to disable Secure Boot in order to boot the disk. You may have to enable Legacy or CSM boot.

Seatools for Dos Tutorial

Another option is to download Parted Magic burn the iso to disk or use Rufus to create a bootable USB. For USB boot Fast or Quick boot needs to be disabled in UEFI. If Parted Magic detects the drive, it may be able to mount it where Windows failed. You can then use the File Manager to transfer any data to a USB flash drive or external drive. Parted Magic has a icon on the desktop called Disk Health or GsmartControl depending on the version. You can use this to check the hard drive.

Edit: This all depends on if the drive is detected in UEFI. If the drive is not detected then the above will not work. You would have to verify the bad drive by connecting it to another computer internally or using an enclosure.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#5 hijaak1986

hijaak1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:15 PM

Thanks John I am getting inaccessible boot error now.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

Sounds like a failed hard drive. Is the drive detected in UEFI or BIOS?

#7 hijaak1986

hijaak1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

No its not detected. Again thanks for your help.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

If the drive is not detected in BIOS or UEFI then the drive has failed or there is an issue with the data cable/SATA ports. You can confirm the bad drive by using an enclosure or USB adapter. Also by connecting the drive to another computer internally that has a spare SATA port.

#9 hijaak1986

hijaak1986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

Again thanks we are good f9 worked he is working on hard drive now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users