Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Printers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ffzacko

ffzacko

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

Hello everyone and thanks in advance.  I have a unique situation.  I run IT for a large ambulance company.  I have about 80 laptops used for PT. care.  When an ambuance transports a PT. they have to leave a copy of the PCR(Pt. care report).  Every hospital has a printer, its literally just a printer in a room with a usb cable going to it.  Each laptop has to be able to connect to about 30 different printers at different facilites.  My problem is its never as easy as just plug and play.  I'm constantly having driver conflicts,  sometimes the printers will work, sometimes the printer is not recognized and throws driver errors.  Sometimes when a crew plugs into a printer that has other options it will try to download fax drivers and install duplicate drivers.  It's literally a 50/50 shot at printing.  I just need to brainstorm here and figure out if there is reliable, easier way to manage all of these print drivers and make sure these computers always recoginze the printer and print when connected via usb.  I would love if these facilities were set up for TCP/IP printing but USB is the only option. 

Thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,654 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Just a thought. Instead of trying to print to multiple different printers with different laptops, uninstall any printer driver currently on the computers. Install a PDF printer like Bull-zip PDF printer that can print a PDF file from any application that can print to a physical printer. The ambulance prints the PCR to a PDF file and copies it to a USB flash drive. The hospital takes the flash drive and prints the PDF using their computer/printer then returns the flash drive to the ambulance personnel. Not sure if the flash drive scenario would pose a security risk though.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#3 ffzacko

ffzacko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

I really like that idea except i'm operating around such high confidentiality with HIPPA and PT. information.  The integration of electronic care reports is still a new integration with our region and nobody has figured out how to do it correclty yet.  The law in our state says we have to leave a physical copy of the PCR with the emergency room when we transfer a pt.  The hospitals still use paper for EVERYTHING.  An idea i thought about was portable printers for every ambulance but that presents its own set of problems and is very expensive to maintain.  We have put a lot of time and money into going all electronic with our report system,  even scanning pt. records into our systems for reports but the hospitals are still the bottleneck in this situation. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users