Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New used win7 pc can't get into my computer | manage

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bluffwood

bluffwood

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:15 PM

Acquired this computer, and been cleaning it up for use for my business. Win 7 pro 32-bit

right clicking on Computer then selecting MANAGE doesn't start anything. (I was hoping to get into the list of services)

right clicking on an icon (to get run as/copy/sendto/delete) gets me "windows explorer has stopped working" then "windows explorer is restarting"

DO NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL SOFTWARE DISCS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

Do you need any software on the computer? If you do not need the data or software you can do a factory reset if the computer is OEM and still has a recovery partition.

Type Run in the Search Box. In the Run Box type diskmgmt.msc. This should open your disk management Window. You should have a Recovery partition if the computer is OEM.

For Services type services.msc

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

You can (or should be able to) access the services console by typing services.msc in the search bar of the start menu.

Does it have a recovery parttion? You might try running sfc /scannow from the command line. It sounds like OS files are corrupt or damaged.

#4 bluffwood

bluffwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

sfc scannow needs administrative level, and when I right click to get it, I get the "windows explorer has stopped working" then "windows explorer is restarting" cycle.

I do have access to the ADMINISTRATOR account and I took off all passwords, so if need be I can run stuff from there.

We'd like not to do a clean start because this has a license and a copy of office... we chose this computer because it did... so we'd like to work around these things and fix them, if we can.  Hope you understand. :-)

#5 bluffwood

bluffwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

we have an unlettered partition in front of c: of 100 mb. I'm signed on using teamviewer. Not sure if this is an Acer or ASUS. computer | properties lists it as an intel cpu quad core q8300 @ 2.5 ghz with 3gb ram (max 8, but I'd need a 64bit OS)

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:18 PM

That's probably the boot partition.

I'd recommend logging in as the administrator and running sfc /scannow from the admin account. Just for good measure, type in cmd in the Search bar of the Start menu, right click the command window icon, and select Run as administrator. This means the commands will run as the system administrator, which is different than the local administrator account.

Are the old user profiles still present on the computer?

#7 bluffwood

bluffwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

if I can run an sfc scannow from ADMINISTRATOR userid, how do I point it back to the unlettered drive to rebuild any messed up files?

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about the unlettered partition at this point. As I said, it's probably the boot partition, so you don't want to make any changes there unless it's absolutely necessary.

#9 bluffwood

bluffwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

I ran the SFC /SCANNOW and it said it repaired some things. (Didn't note where the log file was stored). Ran this under Administrator login, but could not RUN AS Adminstrator.

When I right click to select RUN AS I get WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING

or when I right click on COMPUTER to choose PROPERTIES or MANAGE I get no reply.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:15 PM

I'd like to have a look at that log file.

If you can get back to a command prompt, run this command:

findstr /c:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log > %userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

It will create a file called sfcdetails.txt on your desktop. Open it, and if it contains anything, post the contents here.

#11 bluffwood

bluffwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:15 PM

I had permissions issues, until I logged in as administrator. Then the command ran. It produced an empty file.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:29 PM

It sounds like the operating system is damaged -- which may be why they sold it. You may need to get hold of an installation disk and do a repair install. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users