Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Application Crashes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Rovole

Rovole

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hello, I'm having trouble with certain applications crashing for reasons I am having trouble discerning, and was hoping the fine people of this forum would help me diagnose, and possibly fix these mysterious issues I'm having.

Firefox, which I am currently using to browse and post, and a number of core applications have no trouble running, but if I visit a webpage that has flash-enabled objects, I get spammed with a message that generally reads like this:

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    AutoDetectUtilApp.exe
  Application Version:    1.0.0.2
  Application Timestamp:    54817728
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_cfa6
  Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.18247
  Fault Module Timestamp:    521ea8e7
  Exception Code:    c0000374
  Exception Offset:    000ce753
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    cfa6
  Additional Information 2:    cfa647e7289c35222cdbf1b3312032dc
  Additional Information 3:    fb9e
  Additional Information 4:    fb9e04db52094a246e5bf41a2ec78b90

Flash player does it, curse.exe does it, overwolf does it. WMP does it. The app in the dump here is the AMD Catalyst AutoDetect utilitiy I downloaded to see if it were my Gfx card drivers causing the issue. The StackHash address changes, but for apps crashing at around the same time the StackHash address is the same. Sometimes I am able to get the app to somewhat work if I try again later, but I don't know the reason why, and it isn't long until It crashes again. I know I haven't provided a whole lot of info, but I was hoping to open dialogue with someone who knows what to look for to find and share that info, in the interests of finding what the real issue is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

The c0000374 error code indicates memory corruption -- the application is trying to use or access memory it doesn't or should have access to.

In short, the driver is damaged or corrupt, or is not the correct one for your system. Make sure you have the latest, and correct version installed.. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

#3 Rovole

Rovole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:37 AM

Thank you for the reply, which did clue me in on the general issue, that I'm dealing with memory issues of some sort. However, the APPCRASH problem details I posted were merely an example of the sort of crashes I am experiencing. I don't know what drivers I need, so I used a program to find out. That program's vague crash details are what I posted.

here are two more examples.

Application Name:    SystemSurvey.exe
  Application Version:    2.2.1.37
  Application Timestamp:    53192069
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_cdf4
  Additional Information 1:    cdf4
  Additional Information 2:    cdf4a17870a3805c6076d5021ce02d9b
  Additional Information 3:    b2de
  Additional Information 4:    b2de42076fddaebccf81d2cae5d6ccc3

And this

Application Name:    Battle.net.exe
  Application Version:    1.2.6.5566
  Application Timestamp:    54ed1a18
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_6bf2
  Additional Information 1:    6bf2
  Additional Information 2:    6bf2f48ccd6eeaa47b4fe60349308b84
  Additional Information 3:    cf17
  Additional Information 4:    cf1700fb2c3760277810ad66137d4150

I think its worth mentioning I checked both the RAM and my main harddrive disc for errors, using pre-packaged tools. Both failed to identify any issues. I tried to defrag my main c:\ disc, but after three attempts it remains at 15% fragmented. When I first analyzed the disc and initiated the first defrag attempt, the disc was 2% fragmented. I tried launching the programs again, this time in administator mode, and they crashed again, curiously, at the same StackHash addresses as before, battle.net.exe at 6bf2, and SystemSurvey.exe at cdf4. Before these problems began, I installed the latest windows updates, and I've already tried to roll them back, with no results. Alas, I do not have a restore point from before these problems began.

Edited by Rovole, 01 March 2015 - 02:46 AM.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:29 PM

They're all still pointing to memory issues. And since your memory checks out OK, that means the driver/application itself is corrupt, or is not the correct version for your system.

Since it's happening with a number of your games, I would recommend doublechecking your graphics drivers to make sure they are up to date and are the correct graphics drivers for your system.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

If this is a graphics driver problem you should be able to substantiate this by booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists.  Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphics driver, not the driver used in normal applications.  If the problem persists, then it is the graphics driver at fault.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Rovole

Rovole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:59 PM

First of all, allow me to express my gratitude to the responses recieved thus far. I haven't solved this issue yet, but a few programs I manged to make run by launching them multiple times until eventual success. This isn't a real solution or work-around, however, as it doesn't always work or work for all the programs I am trying to use.

I tried booting in safe mode, and the problem did not seem to persist. Allow me to re-iterate that if there is any other information I can provide in order to diagnose and solve these problems of mine, I am willing and able to do so.

#7 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:37 AM

First of all uninstall all the applications and clean the system’s junk files. Then check the drivers properly and install the new drivers if necessary. And boot your computer normally. 

#8 Rovole

Rovole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:50 AM

I keep hearing the word "Drivers" being thrown around, but not what kind of drivers, and if you expect me to "uninstall all the applications" you must not be very in-touch. Trying to install new graphics card drivers with the downloader/scanner/installer from AMD, and this is after uninstalling the old graphics drivers, is put to a stop by the installer itself suffering an appcrash.

Application Name:    AutoDetectUtilApp.exe
  Application Version:    1.0.0.2
  Application Timestamp:    54817728
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_cfa6
  Additional Information 1:    cfa6
  Additional Information 2:    cfa647e7289c35222cdbf1b3312032dc
  Additional Information 3:    fb9e
  Additional Information 4:    fb9e04db52094a246e5bf41a2ec78b90

As you can plainly see. Trying in safemode won't work because this particular program needs to phone home in order to get the drivers that the tool decides I needs.

Arachi at least provided information that led me to discover that the problem did not persist in safemode, which has been helpful.

That said, I believe, but I'm not completely certain, I've narrowed down the issue to an ATI AMD gfx driver I download on the 25th of February, roughly the time when these problems began, from the windows updated. Investigating.

Edited by Rovole, 09 March 2015 - 06:13 AM.

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:26 AM

If the problem does not persist in safe mode, that would indicate it is the graphics driver. As for what sort of graphics driver you will need, that depends on what sort of video card you are using.

Did you install a separate graphics card, or are you using the video card that is part of the motherboard? In most cases where the video card is part of the motherboard, the drivers you receive through Windows Updates are usually good enough.

If I read your post correctly, you installed new graphics drivers via Windows Updates some time last month? If you know which update it was, and you feel certain that it is causing the problem, you can try uninstalling it. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

You should also check to see who manufactured your motherboard and/or video card, and download and install the graphics drivers directly from their website.

#10 Rovole

Rovole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

The Graphics card I have is the ATI Radeon HD 5570, separate from the motherboard as I am led to believe, a bit dated now but gets the job done. I would have rolled back he update if I could, but it doesn't show in the "Installed updates" list according to the instructions in the informative link you posted. The only reason I know that update was installed and when is from the Update history viewed at "Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update\View update history". I uninstalled my gfx drivers in preperation to reinstall them, but the given gfx installer from the AMD website I tried to use before still crashes before downloading the drivers I need, much less installing them.

I thought at this point a corrupt hosts.txt file might be responsible, so I reset that file to defaults, but with no results.

Right now I'm scanning my computer one more time to look for malware and to check the quarantine history to see if any critical files were reported as false-positives.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

You should be able to download the driver for that here: http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/5000/5570

Make sure to download the correct version -- x86 for 32-bit Windows 7, x64 for 64-bit Windows 7. Although the site does have an option to detect with OS version you have and downloads the appropriate driver.

#12 Rovole

Rovole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 11:14 PM

The driver updater crashes, to my suprise, even with the old drivers uninstalled.

Application Name:    InstallManagerApp.exe
  Application Version:    8.0.916.0
  Application Timestamp:    5480e03f
  Fault Module Name:    StackHash_c24e
  Fault Module Timestamp:    521eaf24
  Exception Offset:    00000000000c4102
  Additional Information 1:    c24e
  Additional Information 2:    c24ee608afd82b6a066377d73d28e524
  Additional Information 3:    545f
  Additional Information 4:    545f7b687e11da72a802421fef8d2855

I'm convinced at this point my graphics driver isn't the problem, and if it is, simply telling me to update them won't get me anywhere.

I'm about to just do a repair install.

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,267 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:09 AM

Before you do a repair install, try a few other things first.

If there is an onboard video card on the motherboard, try using that and see if you still get those errors. If you can borrow another video card, install it with the proper drivers and see if the problem persists. If not, then the ATI Radeon HD 5570 is the issue and needs to be replaced.

Make sure your version of Flash is up to date, and you have the correct version installed for your browser.

Open up a command prompt and run sfc /scannow. If it finds files it can't repair, post back.

#14 Rovole

Rovole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:15 PM

flash has been crashing and in order to view webpages at all I had to uninstall. sfc /scannow didn't find any problems.

I came here after exhausting my options after trying many common fixes while looking on the web for awnsers. I've already run a repair install, which has rid me of the problems I had. It simply got to the point where waiting a few hours on a repair install was preferable to searching for awnsers when it became clear there were none to have.

Thank you for the replies and time you gave, and I'm sure we're all sorry that the root cause was never discovered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users