Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dang "open with" and OMF files... HELP!?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chain67

Chain67

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Hoping someone here can help me.  I recently downloaded a 10+ year old game.  (B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th)  I found out that an OMF editor is available for changing the skins on planes.  I followed the somewhat vague instructions on a YouTube vid: 

Evertying worked fine... sort of. I forgot one major step, and didn't back up the games original OMF files.  Well...  I messed it up, so I uninstalled game and re-downloaded it. 

Learning from my earlier mistakes, I downloaded the OMF editor again and backed up my files.  Then just to check that the editor woked I tried to open one of the games original OMF files........  Nope. 

I can go to any of the OMF files, selecting it prompts the "Open With" window.  The OMF editor isn't listed... go to "Choose Default Program".  Find the editor (C-drive:> GOG > B17 FlyingFortress >OMFMod), double click it.  The "Choose Default Program window closes.... but the OMF editor STILL isn't listed in "Open With".  I've tried re-downloading the editor multiple times... Unzipping it directly to the game's "core" file.... Unzipping it to its own file then moving/dragging it to game's core file... nothing is working.  I cannot find a way to use it to open a file.

I can open the OMF editor without issue, and it seems to be functioning fine.  But I can't figure out how use it to open OMF files.... original or downloaded.

Its not a major issue, but i really want to know what I;m doing wrong, as i had it working fine until human error (mine) messed everything up.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

See this guide. After clicking Default Programs in Control Panel, Select "Associate a File type or protocol with a Program" In the list is there a OMF extension listed? If there is highlight it and press the Choose Program button. Click on the down carrot in Other Programs. If your editor is not shown then browse to your editor program and then press okay.

#3 Chain67

Chain67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

Did everything in guide... same problem. Can't get the editor to the OpenWith box. It is listed as a program file. I'm never given an "Ok"" option... only "Open"
I just uninstalled & reinstalled... game & editor.... both work fine.... again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

When you select Open, it does not take you back to the Window that has the okay button? Does this OMF editor have a exe extension?

#5 Chain67

Chain67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:05 PM

Firstly,  Thanks so much JohnC_21.  If this never gets resolved, I still appreciate imput.  I don't know much at all about computers, but I am trying & love to learn as much as possible.

When you select Open, it does not take you back to the Window that has the okay button? Does this OMF editor have a exe extension?

"Okay" option never shows up.  When I select (Double Click or click Open) the Browse window closes and Open With remains unchanged. 

The file I downloaded contains 4 things:

CoreParts.dll  ---  Application Extension  ---  380KB

OMFMod  ---  Application  ---  101KB

OMFMod_Manual  ---  707KB

ReadMe  ---  5KB

Can't find any .exe, I read to add OMFMod, and CoreParts.dll to same file that contains B17.exe from the game... I could never find anything that has exe.

Only extensions I have in games file are .dle, .dll, vxd, omf, lmf  opt  and .sdb.  There are alot of files without extensions that I can find.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

I found the OMF mod in a steam forum for B17. The readme file stated this.

Installing OMFMod
=================

Download and apply the B-17 1.0 patch.

Copy OMFMOD.EXE and COREPARTS.DLL to the directory in which B17.EXE was installed.  It requires access to DLLs shipped as part of the game and will not run without them.

Running OMFMod
==============

OMFMod may be run from the command line with a single parameter specifying the .OMF file to edit.  Open a command shell window, change to the directory containing OMFMOD.EXE and run it with the name of the OMF to edit
e.g.
    cd \Games\B17
        OMFMod Resources\Media\Aircraft.omf

Or, by adding the directory into which OMFMOD.EXE was installed to your system's path and associating OMFMOD.EXE with the .OMF file type.  OMFMod may then be run to edit an OMF by double clicking on an OMF file icon.

The zip file shows OMFmod.exe. You should have a OMFmod.exe in the B17 game folder along with coreparts.dll. If you do not see the exe extension on OFMmod then you need to show folder extenstions in folder options. Another thing. It says the command is normally run from a command window. Maybe this is why it fails in Vista but I cannot be sure.

"Or, by adding the directory into which OMFMOD.EXE was installed to your system's path and associating OMFMOD.EXE with the .OMF file type" I believe this editor was meant to be used with B17 when it came out as a DOS game. Maybe that is why there is a problem using the OMFmod.exe file with the Vista default program settings.

There is a way to modify the registry to associate a program with with a file extension but I would be hesitant to use it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 March 2015 - 08:29 AM.

#7 Chain67

Chain67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

New devolopment.  On a whim I just downloaded the OMF editor again.  I extracted the files to "C:\GOG Games\B-17 Flying Fortress", then attempted to open an OMF file. The 'Open With windo had OMFMod.exe listed.  I clicked it and a error box popped up stating

"This application has failed to start because WinParts.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Then a window follows:

"OMFmod.exe has stopped working"

In the comments on the youtube vid this problem is mentioned.  The solution given is to drag/move OMFMod and CoreParts.dll from the OMF folder to B-17 "root director" (folder with B-17.exe).  I only found B17startup.exe but OMFMod and CoreParts.dll are both in same folder. 

try to open OMF file.......... OMFMod not listed in OpenWith. 

If the OMFMod is in its own folder within the main B17 folder (root director?) it is listed in the OpenWith window, but it won't work (without WinParts.dll).

If the OMFMod is in the main B17 folder (root director?) with WinParts.dll, then it isn't listed in, nor can be used with the OpenWith window.

No Idea...  Any thoughts?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

Copy (not move) WinParts.dll into the OMFMod folder within the main B17 folder. Does it work then?

#9 Chain67

Chain67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

Nope. Not sure how to copy files... I right clicked file, then Copy.... right click B-17 folder& paste. Didn't work... still missing WinParts.dll

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

That is strange. The dll file should copy. Can you do it in safe mode?

#11 Chain67

Chain67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:33 PM

In SafeMode:
highlighted are copied from file directly above. Note file directly below is WinParts.dll

1/2

Attached Files

#12 Chain67

Chain67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:36 PM

In SafeMode
Error message upon opening OMF file.

2/2

Attached Files

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:03 PM

"If the OMFMod is in its own folder within the main B17 folder (root director?) it is listed in the OpenWith window, but it won't work (without WinParts.dll)"

Did you copy the Winparts.dll file to the OMFmod folder? OMFmod.exe , Coreparts.dll, and Winparts.dll should be there abd also in the B17 folder as you now have it. Then set the default program association of OMFMod.exe in the OpenWith Window as it should then be listed according to your statement above.

#14 Chain67

Chain67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

WORKING!!! Can't believe it.  Had to put 3 files in the OMFMod folder, and got hit with a coded message.  In an act of anger I copied all B-17 files (not folders) into the OMFMod folder.  Worked.  Very strange.

Gonna download the skins now.

Thanks SOOOOOO much.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:33 PM

That was a good idea to copy all the files from the B-17 folder to the OMFMod folder. I would not have thought of that. Glad you finally got it working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users