Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What The Heck??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

Okay, this is what's up. I recently started work on a static web site for a friend's business. The full site is still being developed, but I tried to put a one page notice for visitors to watch for the new site. I know that the HTML and CSS files are being read, because the background color is what the CSS says it should be. However, the message is not text, it's an image made in Photoshop. The site is not displaying the image. This is the relevant code:

From the CSS file:

body {
	margin: 0px;
	padding: 0px;
	color: #fff;
	font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
	font-size: 12px;
	line-height: 1.5em;
	background-color: #0c6a7d;
	background-image: url(../images/body.jpg);
	background-image: width 100%;
	background-repeat: no-repeat;
	background-position: top
}

From the index file:

<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>The Floor Shop LC | Cedar Rapids, IA</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="The Floor Shop LC, flooring, vinyl flooring, hardwood flooring, laminates, ceramic tile, carpet, carpeting, carpets" />
<meta name="keywords" content="floor covering sales, floor covering installation" />
<meta name="description" content="At The Floor Shop LC, We Gotcha Covered!" />
<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

I've tried changing the style sheet line that specifies the image to use, doing it two ways:

And:

background-image: url(images/body.jpg);

Neither has any effect.

I have no issues with any other site that I've done, and I checked my code from all of those sites to compare what I did here. In every instance, I have used this:

Which I understand to be the correct syntax.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps, since I just uploaded these files to the host this morning, the server hasn't yet updated? But if that's the case, why would it read the files enough to use the specified background color, but not the background image?

If needed, the site as it exists now is here: http://thefloorshoplc.com/

Edited by MelissaPleases, 28 February 2015 - 01:58 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

make sure the body.jpg has been uploaded to the images folder

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

Yes, I did. Everything is there. It's really weird. I compared the files here to the ones I uploaded, and everything is identical. I don't understand this.

Edit to Add: Huh... I was just playing around with things here on my machine, and discovered that the site doesn't actually work for me here, either - with the same issue. Previously, I had not tested it out with code changes to the CSS on my machine, just online. At any rate, I changed this:

to this:

background-image: url(images/body.jpg);

and it works fine on my machine. I've reupped the CSS to the site, and I'll give it a bit for the server to refresh, then report back.

That's just odd, because the first line is the syntax I've always used, and it's always functioned...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 02 March 2015 - 12:36 PM.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

I have done such only to find I had put a file in the wrong folder or not uploaded a current .css

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:15 AM

It didn't work. I have double checked all files, re-uploaded everything that I have here on my computer, which works fine, but it fails on the site. This is really driving me batty...

Snowden03.png

#6 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

I would physically FTP files onto the server into the correct location.
open the file in Notepad save it in Notepad upload it

edit: remove other previous copies from the server.

Edited by Martel, 03 March 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

Not sure what you mean by "physically FTP files." I did try uploading one file at a time to the correct folders - there are only two: public and images. I use Filezilla, btw.

Snowden03.png

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

Okay, this is really beginning to frustrate the crap out of me. I cannot for the life of me figure this out - it is, frankly, as basic and simple as a web page can get. I'm going to paste in all of the code for the site, and hope that someone can notice what I'm missing.

The HTML code:

<!-- BEGIN DOCUMENT -->
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<!-- BEGIN HEAD -->
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>The Floor Shop LC | Cedar Rapids, IA</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="The Floor Shop LC, flooring, vinyl flooring, hardwood flooring, laminates, ceramic tile, carpet, carpeting, carpets" />
<meta name="keywords" content="floor covering sales, floor covering installation" />
<meta name="description" content="At The Floor Shop LC, We Gotcha Covered!" />

<link href="style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

</head>
<!-- END HEAD -->

<!-- BEGIN BODY -->
<body>

</body>
<!-- END BODY -->

</html>
<!-- END DOCUMENT -->

And the CSS:

body {
	margin: 0px;
	padding: 0px;
	color: #fff;
	font-family: Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
	font-size: 12px;
	line-height: 1.5em;
	background-color: #0c6a7d;
	background-image: url(images/body2.jpg);
	background-image: width 100%;
	background-repeat: no-repeat;
	background-position: top
}

That's it - as basic as it gets. These are screenshots, one from my computer, when I open the index.html file offline, and one from the actual online site:

Offline:

rvahif.jpg

Online:

2cbrlv.jpg

As you can see, online, the CSS is being read, since the background color is being applied. but the image just doesn't work.

The index.html file, of course, as well as the stle.css file are located in the root folder. The only image being used is located in a folder called "images." I have quadruple checked, and all files on the server are identical to the files on my machine, and located in the same places.

I don't know what the heck to do...

Edit to Add: Yes, yes, I know - I'm anal retentive about comments in my code.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 04 March 2015 - 08:23 AM.

Snowden03.png

#9 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

Anyone? Just a bump - I'm still stuck here...

Snowden03.png

#10 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 06 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

It seems like the photo isn't at /images/body.jpg or perhaps something in the link is incorrect. If you use chrome or firefox, right click on the webpage and "Inspect Element" (BTW these are amazing tools for figuring out exactly what's going on with your webpage) you'll see that the page is giving the error "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)."

Actually, I just found the issue. On the server the file is named "Body.jpg" and you link to it as "images/body.jpg", the difference is the capitol "B".

Either rename the file "body.jpg" or change the CSS to "Body.jpg" and you should be good to go!

Post back to let me know if this fixes the issue!

Edited by ChaseWheeler, 06 March 2015 - 07:14 PM.

I couldn't do this job without my coffee and vape.

#11 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

also check that your file extensions are matching case

edit: @ChaseWheeler  "good find"

Edited by Martel, 06 March 2015 - 09:54 PM.

#12 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:25 PM

@Martel thanks, I honestly just got lucky, after I saw the 404 error I just changed the extension then the capitalization.

Also for a bit more proof here's a hyper link to imagehttp://thefloorshoplc.com/images/Body.jpg

#13 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

OMFG... I want to slink away in shame, lol! How could I have missed that - I always use only lowercase for web filenames and extensions. Can you spell, "DUH," Melissa??

Thank you both for your help, and thanks for that tip about "inspect element." That may prove quite useful if - when? - I pull another bonehead move...

Edit to Add: I just changed it, checked the site, and it's working properly now. Thank you both again!

Edited by MelissaPleases, 07 March 2015 - 07:09 PM.

Snowden03.png

#14 ChaseWheeler

ChaseWheeler

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

No worries MelissaPleases we all need a few extra sets of eyes on silly issues like these.

Glad I could help out, see ya around in the board!

#15 Martel

Martel

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

I have done worse.
once I battled with images not showing up because the bulk file renamer was putting capital file extensions.

Another time I was putting my images into the root and couldn't for the life of me figure out why my changes weren't working.

that's the story of my life.

don't feel bad its just part of the process when you are teaching yourself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users