Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mailto feature in firefox

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sloboat

sloboat

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

does anyone here use yahoo mail with the firefox browser? i'm unable to solve this problem. thks in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

If you open Options in the firefox menu, and then click on Applications.....does mailto appear in the 'content type' list there ?.......and if it does, what is showing in the 'action' list ??

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:11 AM

yes, mailto appears under applications, the action list is as follows, use yahoo mail - always ask - use gmail - use eM client url (default). i'm trying to help an elderly aunt with this problem with, file> Email link  & yahoo mail. it stopped working a few weeks ago & i can't figure it out. i was able to duplicate the problem on my laptop. btw the mailto feature works fine in gmail, but she only uses yahoo mail. thanks

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:52 PM

Try reading THIS...carefully...

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

the problem is not with the mailto application, or the choices in the drop down field. when she attempts to send a webpage link using, "file"> "Email link", yahoo mail opens the compose page as it should, but the url is highlighted in red & inserted in the " to " field instead of the main body of the email where it belongs. i was hoping someone who uses firefox & yahoo mail would post here with their results. something must have happened recently to cause this, it worked fine for her untill now 

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

ok...now i understand.

Have any addons updated themselves in recent times ?...Is the Yahoo plug in enabled in plug ins ?....if so disable it and try...

If you are unsure, simply disable one addon at a time and see if the problem remains.

#7 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:20 AM

very few plugins used, no "yahoo plugin"  was ever present. 

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

Uninstall Firefox, and the install version 35

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/35.0.1/win32/en-US/Firefox%20Setup%2035.0.1.exe

#9 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

i was running ff version 35 until 2 days ago, when i updated to version 36, problem present with both versions. it's probably a yahoo mail issue since the firefox maito feature works fine when "use gmail" is selected in applications. i was hoping someone here who has firefox & yahoo mail would attempt to send themselves a link & post back the results.  thanks

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:39 PM

ok......after resurrecting my yahoo password etc etc I can confirm that if I select "File" on the FF browser page and then click on  "Email Link", it adds the links address to the "To" field of the email.

This little exercise just reminded me why I will never use Yahoo again !

#11 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

i don't like yahoo mail either, but the senior citizen i'm trying to help would have a problem learning another mail program. thanks for the test, that tells me it's not a firefox problem. don't know how to approach the yahoo mail problem.  thanks again

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

I experimented with various addons in FF with no luck.

I regularly help local senior citizens....this one has me baffled....If i could find a simple workaround for her, it would save waiting/hassling with yahoo for a "fix"

#13 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

in addition to yahoo mail, she also uses "outlook.com", (formerly hotmail). the problem there is, outlook.com is not one of the choices in the mailto drop down field.

wonder if there's a way to add it ?  thanks

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:04 PM

Open firefox menu...options......applications.......highlight "mailto'.....beside yahoo there will be pull down window......when you open it the other options to use will be shown...gmail etc....and at the bottom will be "use other".......follow that route to select the program "outlook.com"

#15 sloboat

sloboat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

tried that already, & hit another dead end. unable to enter anything into the select helper application window, also nothing concerning outlook.com found using the browse button. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users