Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ram - BSOD - HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

Good Afternoon all,

I'm having an issue with New ram i've bought, I Decided to upgrade my old Fujitsu Ah530 Lifebook from 4gb to 6gb

The Laptop came with 2x2gb sticks as standard, so I wanted to replace 1 with a 4GB stick.

It came in the post today, I stuck it in, and when loading the computer, having got past the initial loading screen (Where you can enter bios etc) 

I get 2x options, Start windows Normally, Or run the repair,

When starting windows normally, The Laptop brings up the windows screen (But without the loading bar) Then it switches off and restarts back to the 2 options, simply looping this process over and over. 
If I Choose repair I get a BSOD.

I've tried all combinations of the rams (as standard I have 1x crucial and 1x samsung that came with the laptop) and to no avail, I then tried the new 4gb ram on its own in both slots, In one of the slots the screen just does not load, and the other I get the BSOD again.

Having been to the crucial website prior to buying this ram, I done a check on the compatible rams, and thought I'd made a compatible choice.

I did not purchase ram through Crucial as I found it cheaper on Ebay using Argos as the distributer so I assume its all above board having them as an affiliate so to speak.

New ram I have purchased is
Samsung 4GB DDR3 1rx8 pc3L - 12800s (1600Mhz)

Old ram previously installed 
Samsung 2GB DDR3 PC3-10700 (667 mhz)   
Crucial 2GB DDR3 PC3-10700 (667 mhz)    

Is the mhz the issue? My motherboard is FJNBB06 and as far as I am aware this should run 1600mhz? 

The laptop is Duel channel, I've seen elsewhere people say the common issue is the timing, frequences etc, However when I access my bios it's probably the most limiting bios in history with absolutely nothing to do with memory or anything even relevant to it, I can only change about 3 options for example the loading schedule like dvd drive etc... I think I have the latest Bios, But using fujitsu' terrible update desk, It told my my drivers were up to date, when I check the website there were 6 out of date drivers so I don't trust it.

My bios is version 1.19, is this the latest?

Having put the old rams back in I am now back on this laptop working as it was, So I can only come to the conclusion that the ram is faulty or the settings that I cannot find or access are wrong because of the previous rams low MHz settings.

Any light shed on this issue would be a massive help, I appreciate your efforts in advance.

Best wishes,
Lee Knowles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

If you tried the original configuration and you are still having software issues, it sounds like software issue not a hardware issue. Try repairing using a windows repair disk. If all else fails you may have to reload your operating system. Based on your post it sounds like your running windows 7 but that is a guess at this point. 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

"...Having put the old rams back in I am now back on this laptop working as it was, .."  If I understand this correctly, then you might have purchased that is not quite 100% architecture that is called for by this laptop.  I tried 3rd party memory on a copmuter awhile back, had to get refund and purchase exact architecture memory from original source -- that worked.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Knowlesy

Knowlesy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

If you tried the original configuration and you are still having software issues, it sounds like software issue not a hardware issue. Try repairing using a windows repair disk. If all else fails you may have to reload your operating system. Based on your post it sounds like your running windows 7 but that is a guess at this point. 

Yes running windows 7, 

The initial windows repair had only arisen when i put the new ram in, when i selected the repair option i got BSOD,

Since i've tried all combinations, I have put the old ram back in and run the repair with no issues, and the computer is fine, unfortunately from a laptop i dont think I can access the bios to change the speeds etc, I think it may just be faulty ram. 

"...Having put the old rams back in I am now back on this laptop working as it was, .."  If I understand this correctly, then you might have purchased that is not quite 100% architecture that is called for by this laptop.  I tried 3rd party memory on a copmuter awhile back, had to get refund and purchase exact architecture memory from original source -- that worked.

Well the memory installed when I bought the laptop was Samsung and crucial, the memory I have purchased is samsung, Seems official and the ebay user is affiliated with argos with a 99.9% positive feedback and high amount of sales, so it could have just been unlucky really, the amount of posts floating around the internet of faulty ram is incredible! 

The crucial website check gave me the variables i needed, and this ram that I bought matched the crucial recommendations to the letter, and the laptop already has samsung in it (x1 stick of 2gb) so I assumed pairing it with another samsung wouldn't be an issue.

I was hoping it would be something simple like a bios issue that needed updating to access the timings and frequencies etc, but it's never simple is it! 

any other suggestions are welcome

Appreciate your input !

Edited by Knowlesy, 28 February 2015 - 01:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users