Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop doesn't work but signal lights are on.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Adrian071292

Adrian071292

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

I opened the smaller back case of my laptop and I saw this burnt area on a thick grayish wire beside the cooling fan. I traced the wire and it is leading inside the main back case which I couldn't open.

I tried pressing the power button for thousand times, still no results.

It happened after I rushly unplugged the charger to turn off my laptop because of the windows updates. I do that every time Im in a rush. I no longer uses battery to power my laptop and using the charger to power my laptop for more or less a year from now.

- my laptop heats and start having engine-likd sound when using myltiple programs

- my average time of usage is 7-10 hours a day

- i started receiving messages from my PC about my hdd having problems, 6 weeks ago

- a month ago, i started experiencing lags and hangs for like every 15 minutes depending on the programs Im using

- 2 weeks ago, even at stand by my pc hangs

- 2 weeks ago, even right clicking (trying to refresh) takes thousands of year to pop up the dialog box

- i think hdd was not the one that burned, because i cant see any visible char on and near it.

Can you identify or have a probable guess of which part was burned? Any solutions aside from buying?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I am afraid the prognosis is bad - the simplest solution for your problem is a new laptop. Yes, it is possible to replace motherboards and other components but the time it would take you to find them for what I take it is a fairly old computer, and the cost of them when you find them, plus the time to strip and re-build. I would just bite the bullet and replace it.

However you no doubt have data on that hard drive which is valuable and may not be fully backed up. If it is fully backed up then you can of course just walk away from it. If it isn't fully backed up the simplest thing to do is to take it out of the computer - usually very easy - and put it in a USB 'caddy' then connect it to another computer to copy your data off it.

This is the sort of thing you are looking for. This is from Amazon UK but similar caddies are available almost anywhere -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ORICO-Enclosure-Tool-free-Installation-Compatible/dp/B00BH83LYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1425168590&sr=1-1&keywords=2.5+inch+usb+caddy

Once you have the drive in the caddy it works just like a USB drive does in a computer.

Given your remark about HDD warnings it may not be possible to recover all your data off it, depending on the amount of internal damage, but you should get at least most of it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Adrian071292

Adrian071292
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

Thank you for your reply. Should I at least try detaching the parts and attach again to test if the laptop will miraculously work again? Or would it just be a waste of time?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

You may very well be at the point of no return, at this point you have little to lose.  I would go onto Youtube find tear down info for your model, you might just find what is wrong and possibly fix it.  Old saying nothing ventured nothing gained, actually you will gain expertise!

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:48 AM

OldPhil has a good point - nothing wrong in gaining expertise !  However, given that you had had warnings about the condition of your hard drive I would be concerned to recover any data not already backed up before I did anything else.

Hardware and applications can always be replaced, data once it is gone is gone permanently.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users