Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Conhook And Other Trojan Invasions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 inoculation

inoculation

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:49 PM

I was asked to post a HijackThis log (which appears below) after posting on the same subject in another forum. I have identified the following problem registry keys, none of which I have been able to remove manually (even after disabling permissions): c_9res; crypt32chain; cryptnet; SensLogon. Please advise me as to how to proceed. Many thanks.

Note: I have already downloaded ewido, adaware, spybot, etc., all of which I used once in the past (along with smitren) to remove smitfraud. This trojan seems to be more elusive...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 10:46:44 PM, on 6/27/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\cleanmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.google.com"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\c0kghle5.slt\prefs.js)
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "http://www.google.com/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\c0kghle5.slt\prefs.js)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RHSI SHS] "C:\Program Files\Rogers\SelfHealing\SHS.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Update Manager] "C:\Program Files\Rogers\Update Manager\UpdateManager.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SHS] "C:\Program Files\Rogers\SelfHealing\SHS.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RealPlayer] "C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\realplay.exe" /RunUPGToolCommandReBoot
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by105fd.bay105.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: c_9res - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:22 AM

Hello Inoculation,

I have identified the following problem registry keys, none of which I have been able to remove manually (even after disabling permissions): c_9res; crypt32chain; cryptnet; SensLogon.

I am glad you didn't, because, with the exception of c_9res, they are all legitimate keys. The major problem with this log is that you are running an unpatched version of XP. Before attempting to remove malware, it is CRITICAL that you update to Service Pack 1a.
An unpatched Windows XP will get re-infected in minutes on the net.
Get SP1a here : http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...p1/default.mspx
You should also get SP2, but NOT NOW, rather only after your machine is clean. Doing so before your computer is clean can cause Windows to become unstable.

AFTER updating your machine to SP1a, proceed as follows:

Disable real-time scanners and fix the following entry in HijackThis.

Ewido guard:
  • Open Ewido AntiMalware
  • Go to Status menu
  • Click change status on Resident shield to inactive Under "Your computers Security"
Norton Script Blocking
" Start Norton Antivirus.
" Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click Norton Antivirus. The Norton Antivirus Options dialog box appears.
" Click Script Blocking.
" Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended).
" Click OK

Scan with HijackThis and put a checkmark against the following entry:

Close all other windows, except HijackThis, and click on fix checked.

You are running an older version of Java.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
  • Search for all previous installed versions of Java. (J2SE Runtime Environment.... ) and delete them.
  • It/they should have this icon next to it/them: Posted Image
  • Then download and install the newest version. 1.5.07 from here.
Reboot and Post a fresh HijackThis log please.

#3 inoculation

inoculation
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:15 PM

Hi amateur,

Thanks for getting back in touch. I'm scarcely an authority on the subject, but are you sure those other registry keys are safe? I googled them and got the impression that they were dangerous. At any rate, you'll find a new HijackThis log below - that pesky c_9res is back. Also, I haven't yet updated Windows as I'm quite happy with my system settings as they stand (however vulnerable I might be) - previous updates have unsettled things considerably. Let me know how next to proceed.

Thanks again.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:11:03 PM, on 6/29/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Mixer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Desktop\HijackThis.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ca/
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "www.google.com"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\c0kghle5.slt\prefs.js)
N4 - Mozilla: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "http://www.google.com/"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\c0kghle5.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Advanced Tools Check] C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\AdvTools\ADVCHK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RHSI SHS] "C:\Program Files\Rogers\SelfHealing\SHS.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Update Manager] "C:\Program Files\Rogers\Update Manager\UpdateManager.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SHS] "C:\Program Files\Rogers\SelfHealing\SHS.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RealPlayer] "C:\Program Files\Real\RealOne Player\realplay.exe" /RunUPGToolCommandReBoot
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\npjpi150_07.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\npjpi150_07.dll
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by105fd.bay105.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation Service (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

#4 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

"I'm scarcely an authority on the subject, but are you sure those other registry keys are safe?"

Following are the legitimate Winlogon Notify keys that you question; and yes, I am sure they are not only safe but necessary: It's possible that you are not talking about registry keys, but some files which could be malware. However, I cannot see any sign of them in your log.

Keys Under Notify---
crypt32chain
cryptnet
cscdll
igfxcui
ScCertProp
Schedule
sclgntfy
SensLogn
termsrv
wlballoon
WRNotifier

"that pesky c_9res is back"
Without the rest of the entry, it's very difficult to know what it is. Did you note down the name of the file somewhere before you fixed it?

Click here to download Look2Me-Destroyer.exe and save it to your desktop.
  • Close all windows before continuing.
  • Double-click Look2Me-Destroyer.exe to run it.
  • Put a check next to Run this program as a task.
  • You will receive a message saying Look2Me-Destroyer will close and re-open in approximately 10 seconds. Click OK
  • When Look2Me-Destroyer re-opens, click the Scan for L2M button, your desktop icons will disappear, this is normal.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the Remove L2M button.
  • You will receive a Done Scanning message, click OK.
  • When completed, you will receive this message: Done removing infected files! Look2Me-Destroyer will now shutdown your computer, click OK.
  • Your computer will then shutdown.
  • Turn your computer back on.
  • Please post the contents of C:\Look2Me-Destroyer.txt in your next reply.
If Look2Me-Destroyer does not reopen automatically, reboot and try again.

If you receive a message from your firewall about this program accessing the internet please allow it.

If you receive a runtime error '339' please download MSWINSCK.OCX from the link below and place it in your C:\Windows\System32 Directory.
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/images/lib/MSWINSCK.OCX[/QUOTE]

If for some reason Look2Me-Destroyer doesn't reopen check that task scheduler is running.
If it isnt you can use sc.exe to start it
start > run> sc start schedule press enter.

=========================================

Download the eScan Antivirus Toolkit here.
Save it to the desktop.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune here.
Save it to the desktop.
NOTE: This program is for Windows XP and 2000 only.

Please reboot into Safe Mode. For instructions click here

From Safe Mode, double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.

* Under Main choose: Select All
* Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser

* Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser

* Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All

NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click NO at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

This will remove all files from the items that are checked so if you have some cookies you'd like to save. please move them to a different directory first.

==============================================

From Safe Mode, run Ewido (update it to the latest definitions first)

==============================================

From Safe Mode, run the eScan Antivirus Toolkit. Please follow these instructions:

1.) Double-click on the mwav.exe file saved to the desktop. A WinZip Self-Extractor will appear.

2.) Click Unzip, by default it will extract all the program files to new folder called Kaspersky at the root of the C:\drive. (C:\Kaspersky).

3.) A dialog box stating "1xx file(s) unzipped successfully" will appear, click OK. After clicking ok, the eScan AntiVirus Toolkit Utility interface will appear.

4.) With the eScan interface on your desktop, make sure that the boxes under Scan Option, Memory, Registry, Startup Folders, System Folders, Services, are all checked.

5.) Check the Drive box, this will create a another Drive box below it, check this second Drive box as well, now a large window across from the second Drive box appears. In this window use the drop-down arrow and choose the drive letter of your hard drive, usually C:\.

6.) Below these boxes, make sure the box Scan All Files is checked, not Program Files. (Memory, StartUp-Folders, Drives, All Local Drives,
Registry and INI Files, System Folders, Services must be checkmarked)

7.) Click the Scan Clean button and let the utility run until it completes a thorough scan of your hard drive. eScan will delete any viruses or trojans it finds. This process may take a long time. Please be patient.

8.) When the scan has finished, the top window will read Scan Completed.
When it's finished, 'view log' and save it. To close the interface, click OK, click Exit, then click Exit again.

==========================================

Reboot in Normal Mode.

• Please go here and perform a full system scan. (use Internet Explorer)
  • Once you are on the Panda site click the Scan your PC button.
  • A new window will open...click the big Check Now button.
  • Enter your Country.
  • Enter your State/Province.
  • Enter your Valid Email and click send.
  • Select either Home User or Company.
  • Click the big Scan Now button.
  • If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it.
  • It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan.
  • Click on Local Disks to start the scan.
  • Once finished, click see report, then click Save report.
NOTE: Please ignore any entry it finds and the offer to buy the program to remove the entry.

"I haven't yet updated Windows as I'm quite happy with my system settings as they stand (however vulnerable I might be) - previous updates have unsettled things considerably. Let me know how next to proceed."

I am afraid unless you update your Windows to SP1a, I cannot continue helping you as we'll be wasting our time. You'll get reinfected the minute you are on the net and we'll never finish.

Please post the results of Panda, eScan, ook2Me-Destroyer.txt and Ewido log along with a fresh HijackThis log.

Edit: can't get the quotations working tonight.

Edited by amateur, 29 June 2006 - 08:19 PM.

#5 amateur

amateur

Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,775 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

Due to lack of response, this thread will now be closed. If you need this topic reopened, please PM me with the address of the thread.and we will reopen it for you. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users