Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP2 Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PhlyInLo

PhlyInLo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 28 November 2004 - 06:04 PM

Hello all. I finally got SP2 installed and I have lots of problems. It took some help from Microsoft for me to get it installed on my computer but now my computer is running very , very slowly. It will not allow cookies at all. An believe me I have tried several different ways. When I open WORD it says that the document could not be registered and therefore I will not be able to create links with the document. Not that I wanted to. Also when first booted up it tells me I am missing files with my Access Buttons. Something like that I tried to copy it but my computer froze. And it has been frezing up on me a lot. Outlook keeps freezing. Should I just unintall this thing. I don't quite understand the benefit. I can't do anything. It took me 2 hours to find a way to post on this site because it will not allow cookies. Also I opened Windows Task Manager to see why my computer was freezing and OSA.exe is constantly taking up all of my CPU usage and is runing consistently above 90% usually closer 100% CPU usage. Help please.

Lori

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:46 PM

Hi, PhylInLo. I'm no expert, but I've had some similar issues to these along the way:

1. It will not allow cookies at all.

2. When I open WORD it says that the document could not be registered and therefore I will not be able to create links with the document.

3. when first booted up it tells me I am missing files with my Access Buttons.

4. Outlook keeps freezing.

5. I opened Windows Task Manager to see why my computer was freezing and OSA.exe is constantly taking up all of my CPU usage

Ok, the problems you describe involve microsoft products. The service pack is microsoft, also.
(1.) & (4.) involve Internet Explorer.
(2.), (3.) & (5.) involve the Office Suite.

First thoughts are...have you updated the Office Family by clicking on that tab at Windows Updates?
Microsoft updates security issues with microsoft products, it's possible you might be better off uninstalling the Office Suite now that SP2
is in & reinstalling it... then updating it

OSA.exe is not required. A number is usually attached to that particular executable file. 7, 8, 9 or 10. That will provide a clue about the update status of your Word _ Access _ Excel, etc.

OSA.exe Office Startup Assistant [2] The Microsoft Office Startup Assistant is loaded at Startup and improves performance by handling automation, office fonts, certain office commands and Outlook notifications
OSA.exe -b -l Office Startup Assistant [3] Improves performance of Office programs. MicrosoftWhat Is the Osa.exe File and What Does It Do?
OSA.exe Osa9.exe Microsoft Office (1) or Micros [2] Resource hog that launches common MS Office components to help speed up the launch of Office programs. Some users claim there's no difference with or without it but it isn't required anyway. Osa9.exe is the Office 2000 variant
OSA.exe Osa9.exe Office Startup [1] Resource hog that launches common MS Office components to help speed up the launch of Office programs. Osa9.exe is the Office 2000 equivalent. Some users claim there's no difference with or without it but it isn't required anyway

We use information from this site frequently dealing with issues of all kinds.
Choose search & type OSA.exe into the filename search field.
The numbers are ratings:

The (1) means Not Recommended - Resource Hog, Spyware
The (2) means Not Required at Startup - Application Launcher, Microsoft Office Application
The (3) means Users Choice (application need to be run at startup, but is not system critical)

The fact that no consensus regarding this application has been reached is not terribly unusual, but the bottomline is you decide.

Internet Explorer after SP2 should be Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180). Its possible you had the Outlook set up in such a way prior to updating with SP2 that "tied it's hands" so to speak, and it didn't accomplish all that it wanted to. There again, an uninstall/reinstall of microsoft components at Add/Remove programs might settle things down for you.

Some thoughts. Not "the answer", but do some checking before you give up on SP2. It is after all, the latest update and there probably won't be a possiblility of going back to the good ole days.

Edited by phawgg, 30 November 2004 - 03:46 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users