Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proliant ML350 Initial setup question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:56 AM

I'm putting together a new-to-me HP Proliant ML350 server that I want to be able to use for file sharing over my network. I have 3 hard drives ready to go for a RAID 5 and I want to be able to use a fourth hard drive for the operating system. 

The server has an Embeded E200i RAID controller. My question is this: Can I connect the fourth hard drive in the same manner as the other 3 without it being added to the array? Also, will it know which hard drive to look at for the boot sector?

Any information would be appreciated. I'm fairly tech savvy, but I'm very new to setting up servers at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

Let's see if I understand...you want to set up a RAID only for storage drives?  While the O/S is installed on a separate boot drive?

Louis

#3 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

Exactly Louis!

#4 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:37 AM

Bump with a related question. In a typical server setup is the operating system installed on one of the RAID drives? 

#5 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

In my experience with RAID controllers, you can plug them all into it and then you'll configure the RAID inside their software, and Windows will pick up which drive has the OS (boot manager) and automatically boot from it.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

There is no simple answer to your question.  It CAN be --or you can NOT use a drive in the RAID array and set it as the system disk volume in which case windows will not be a part of the RAID array.

Is this typical?  It depends on who you talk to.

Some network admins use an entirely different computer running windows or windows server to connect to another computer that actually houses the array.

The upside of NOT including the OS into the Array is that if something goes wrong with windows and for whatever reason you  have to reinstall - you can do so without touching data in the array.  But your system will still be down while your reinstalling windows.  If you have say .. RAID 6 you can have up to 2 drives fail and still be operating (albeit possibly slower)

The downside - one of the whole reasons for a RAID array is for redundancy.  Not having windows installed on a drive as part of the RAID array does not give you any benefit of redundancy (which is one of the whole purposes behind the array.

~as a note - RAID is not meant to be a backup it is typically used as a (file server) where you are providing access to files for possibly hundreds or thousands of users.

Wiki Raid

And finally .. I am not a RAID expert.  I know just enough to know I as a home user do not need raid, however I have been around computers long enough to drive other people crazy asking them questions about RAID.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 18 May 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#7 kilgorecemetery

kilgorecemetery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:04 PM

Thank you both for your replies. Maybe I will just try it with the OS as part of the RAID and see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users