Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU heatsinks and swapping fans...?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:22 AM

So it looks like I am going with an aftermarket CPU heatsink and fan set-up and not a liquid cooling set-up.

I'm looking @ all the options of fans out there. LED. NON - LED etc...

Heres my question?

If I were to purchase a aftermarket CPU cooling unit like ( just for example ) some type of cooler master, and Deep cool etc....  Is it possible to replace the fans they came with, with other fans from another company as long as they are the same size?

For example I buy the CM 212-EVO but want LED fans.  Can I just swap the fans for LED fans?

I look @ the db reading on all the aftermarket CPU heatsink fans and they are all over the board.  If I were to replace the fan it came with, with a separate fan that has a lower db reading what that work?  And would that decrease the db then?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

Is it possible to replace the fans they came with, with other fans from another company as long as they are the same size?

Yes, I do it all the time for old units that come in, depending on the positioning of the mount holes in the fan.

Most of the time the fans simply screw in to the top of the heatsink. Get the stats on the original fan that came with the unit; pay attention to the CFM (Cubic Ft per Minute) or amount of air moved rather than the RPMs. I will admit that finding a fan that moves the same amount of air but is quieter will be tricky. As a suggestion, if your main reason for swapping fans is lighting, maybe there are 3rd party lighting add-ons available that can attach to the fan shroud to give you the same effect without swapping out the OEM fan. Just a thought. Try Newegg, Tiger Direct and Amazon for starters.

Another suggestion, if lighting is your main concern, is to leave the original CPU heatsink fan and add LED case fans which will accomplish the same thing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=case+lighting&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I will also say that a lot of these 3rd party LED fans are junk; they are noisy and cheaply made. I have several in my stock drawer that I have purchased through the years and occasionally use them in older units (at no charge) when needed.

[EDIT]:  Sorry, I didn't fully answer your question about db. Db are tricky; I have seen fans that have lower db, move the same amount of air, but have an irritating whine that is simply bad engineering. That is why I have a drawer full of them. You really won't know until you plug it in. Reading the users' reviews on suppliers' websites will help but it's not gospel. That is another reason to consider using LED case fans instead as I mentioned above.

Edited by ranchhand_, 28 February 2015 - 10:08 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:40 PM

In case you do really want a different fan and get one where the holes don't line-up (or screws are too large, or whatever) - superglue works as a last resort.

On my last computer, the CPU fan was attached to the heatsink by plastic "feet" that were just shoved into the fins of the heat sink. After running that computer for close to 8 years, the feet had all snapped except for one, and the fan was vibrating and making noise.

While attempting to fix it, one of the first things I did was accidentally snap the remaining foot, and after a few half-assed attempts to manufacture new feet for the fan with plastic pieces I cut from pen-caps and superglue, I ended up just super-glueing the fan directly to the heatsink. The vibration/noise disappeared and I ran that computer for close to another 2 years, and it would still run if I had a keyboard and a monitor for it.

#4 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the responses guys.

I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users