Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD detection problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:32 AM

Hello,

I am trying to install windows 7, but my when it comes to start installing the laptop stuck on loading "setup is starting" window

the I figured out that sometimes the laptop fails to detect the hard drive. I plugged the hard drive externally to test i, but windows asked me to format it and I did but it freezes at some point 

So what do you suggest or think about this issue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:29 AM

Lets test your hard drive first:

Go Here and download Seatools For DOS (free)

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive,   2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.

Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Edited by ranchhand_, 28 February 2015 - 10:30 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

Lets test your hard drive first:

Go Here and download Seatools For DOS (free)

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive,   2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. Be sure to post that in your next reply along with the result of the test.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice. Post the result in your next reply.

Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

can i do that even if I don't have access to windows

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

Yes, that is why I used this tool. It loads virtual, meaning that it by-passes the HDD (hard disk drive) completely and loads into memory from the DVD drive. That is why you must have your BIOS set to CD = 1st boot device.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:15 PM

A clarification.  It doesn't bypass the hdd, it boots from the disc.  The hdd usually is set as the first device in the boot order.  In order to boot from a bootable disc (like the SeaTool for DOS disc) the first device in the boot order has to be the DVD-ROM, and the second device is the hdd.  When the computer is start it will look for the first device it can boot from, if there is no disc it will go down the list until it finds a means of booting.  It does not have to be the operating system to boot from.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:31 PM

DC3: please read my post carefully. You repeated exactly what I said. And....yes, the HDD is by-passed, the same as the DVD drive is by-passed when the HDD is set to 1st boot device. We are quibbling semantics, here. The majority of users are educated to think that a computer will not "work" unless the HDD is active. That is not necessarily so and my phrasing aided the OP to understand this. There was no point in going into a detailed explanation of how the booting system works and why, let's just get to the bottom line.

Thank you for your input.

#7 fadi-sheikh

fadi-sheikh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:20 PM

I ordered new hard drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users