Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion g6-2123us Notebook PC -- Reinstall Options

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 penniwinkle

penniwinkle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:06 AM

I inherited this laptop from a friend who died.  I was reinstalling Skype [he had removed it].  Ran some basic maintenance with CCleaner and Glary Utilities.  Then ran a basic scan with Avast.  Avast informed me I had a virus--and then the screen went black.  I have been unable to get windows to load since, even in Safe Mode. 

The 64 bit Win 7 installation CD that was given me with the computer was apparently for the desktop that went to someone else as I tried to reinstall windows and this CD was rejected.  The wrong disk type on the laptop.

Is my only option to find a dealer with the correct CD to reinstall 64 bit Win 7?

How does one access the bios in this model?

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2015 - 07:00 PM.
Edited title to reflect topic - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:56 AM

Seeing as the Laptop was inherited from an elderly gentlemen , it may have not been altered to much.

I would see if it has a Factory Restore Option which will revert it back to the day it was purchased.

You can check for a Partition it may be stored on or within the start menu Program Files under HP Folders.

To enter the Bios when you turn it on hold the ESC key down.

If you cant enter safe mode you will have to get a hold of a Windows Repair Disc.

Need more info on your Laptop Operating System win 7 ? 32 or 64bit.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:03 AM

Click here to open the Service Manual for this computer.

Go to page 86 for instructions for using the recovery partition to reset the operating system to the condition it came from the factory.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 penniwinkle

penniwinkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 04:30 AM

Thanks much both of you.  While waiting, I did a Startpage search for HP support for the model and found the instructions to revert back to factory specs.  Thank you very much for the model manual dc3.

I now have it almost the way I want it--still weeding out the HP bloatware.

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:02 AM

I now have it almost the way I want it--still weeding out the HP bloatware.

Glad to hear you back and running , i have a HP G Series also and removed all HP additions and rely on Acronis for an Image of my Drive.

For you ensure you dont remove to much HP Bloat that you may still require , eg:  the Restore Program Facility etc.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users