Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is Startup File in Windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hikermann

Hikermann

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

Did a www search to answer that question, but all that comes up is:

C:\Users\<your  User name>\appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\start Menu\Programs\startup
(unhide hidden folders)

PROBLEM:  My path is C:\Users\Owner\ ... but there is no AppData or Roaming.  Attempting to locate Microsoft\Windows is a negative.

Was previously on XP and, fortunately, the MS developers had kept it relatively straightforward, simple and logical to find "Microsoft\Windows\Startup" ... seems to me that their concept is that each "improvement" to Windows shall become more obtuse, unlike whatever was done previously, etc., etc.

Any direction in my search is appreciated.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:29 AM

PROBLEM:  My path is C:\Users\Owner\ ... but there is no AppData or Roaming.  Attempting to locate Microsoft\Windows is a negative.

Double check hidden Files - Unhide system files.

App Data is there and Roaming but doesnt contain Startup unless you delve further and doesnt contain anything.

As mine looks - C:\Users\Anyone\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Or Try a search of C:\ with "startup" quoted.

If your looking for Startup items at boot , try Ccleaner / open it up go to Tools / Startups.

What are you trying to achieve anyway ? and yes Win 7 has changed from Xp but for the better i think.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

Not sure if this is exactly what you want.

If not, then somebody may have a better reply for you :) .

From M/soft MVPs -

What is location or path of the startup folder in Windows 7 ? (I used your question as my GOOGLE search base )

Follow the path via Regedit.
Through Folder Options, enable showing of hidden/system folders.

For current user: ...............
Found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

For all users: .................
Found in HKEY_USERS
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

READ http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/windows-tips-tutorials-articles/26430-windows-registry-startup-paths.html#post123035
Windows Registry Startup Paths
1. Via Start up folder.
2. Via Registry.
3.Programs to run at logon time or when explorer runs.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:49 AM

Hi Hikermann :)

In order to see the "AppData" folder, you have to go in Folder Options, then check the Show hidden files, folders and drives radio button. You can access the Folder Options via the Control Panel, just switch the display type to big or small icons.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users