Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to enable Secureboot on my custom PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:03 PM

I built my PC about 6 months ago from parts I ordered from Amazon, plus some things I salvaged from my old PC. I attempted to enable secureboot a while ago, but failed because my boot drive was MBR partitioned. I didn't really know much about GPT partitioning, UEFI or any of these other new-fangled concepts. I know a bit more now, but whenever I try to read up on secureboot, I find more and more terms (trusted platform module, platform key, etc.) that are brand new to me.

My boot drive (SSD) and my internal HDD are both GPT partitioned, and Windows is installed in UEFI fashion now. System Info says secureboot is off, last time I attempted this it was listed as unsupported.

So for someone who has enabled secureboot on a PC they built, what steps do I need to do to get secureboot enabled on mine? (i.e. Is it just as simple as entering UEFI settings and enabling it there, or are there more steps)

Also, while searching for info on this topic, I have read a few people post about how secureboot is inconvenient and they have disabled it. Are there any pitfalls I would need to look out for while operating with secureboot enabled- specifically would it prevent me from using non-gpt drives, like my recovery USB (which is FAT32 and probably MBR), or my external HDD (MBR/NTFS and which is normally turned off)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:55 PM

when I attempt to enable secureboot, it does not let me. I see a message that says "secureboot can be enabled only when the Platform Key (PK) is enrolled and running in user mode and CSM function is disabled"

so it appears there are 3 or 4 things I need to do still - make a platform key (unless I already have one and don't know it), enroll said platform key, put my platform in user mode (I think it is in setup mode), and disable CSM function. 

Any help?

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

issue resolved, probably

eightforums.com tutorial on this http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/17058-secure-boot-enable-disable-uefi.html

post 78 is where I enter thread http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/17058-secure-boot-enable-disable-uefi-8.html

#4 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:52 PM

Are you aware of this:

"German govt comes out against Trusted Computing and Secure Boot"

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/11/21/german-govt-comes-out-against-trusted-computing-and-secure-boot/

?

On this Laptop I've disabled Secure boot for the reason that occasionally I want to boot to Linux with an external HDD.

Edited by HairCut, 02 March 2015 - 03:31 AM.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:15 AM

Tried Linux already, didn't really like it and particularly hated the occasions when grub would malfunction and screw up my bootsector (that happened multiple times). The fact that secureboot prevents grub from writing to my bootsector, is a plus in my book. German gov'ts can pound sand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users