Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

giving away a computer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:10 PM

i am giving this acer aspire one to a friend and want to remove all personal information from this computer. i am currently running windows xp home edition version 2002 service pack 3, on this unit. how do i do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

Format the system or wipe the hard drive....have your friend clean install Win 7 or later or llinux....that would be the route I would suggest.

Windows XP is unsupported, more vulnerable to malware than either of the other suggestions...and probably should not be used by less than users capable of resolving system problems on their own, IMO.

Familiarity is no reason for anyone to be using Windows XP, at this time, IMO.  Everything must change...iinclucing bad habits developed years ago that result in increased vulnerabilities to user systems today..

Louis

#3 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

thank you for your responce. this is a new user and i will recomend this.  what do i need to do?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:49 PM

What Acer model is rthis sytem?  Aspire One is a line of various systems built by Acer...we need your specific model to properly advise you.

Louis

#5 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:10 PM

i think it says d250-1126, on the back.

#6 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

thank you for the help. i googled the problem, ran ccleaners and changed accounts.

jw

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

I agree with a format and a clean install, since this is for a friend. But, depending on how sensitive your data is, or if you were to give the computer to be recycled, DBAN is the closest thing to cutting the hard disk into little pieces (which I would do).

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#8 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

my data is not very sensitive.i want to do as mr. louis has suggested. i would like to download a windows 7 version if this is possible.i have made a new administator account, ran ccleaners, deleted my account, and defragged. i think i have a 32-bit system since x64 is not displayed in system properties. can i do this or do i have to buy a disk?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

Is THIS your system?

Frankly...with the components listed, this sytem looks to be a better fit for linux than Win 7.

Louis

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:40 AM

my data is not very sensitive.i want to do as mr. louis has suggested. i would like to download a windows 7 version if this is possible.i have made a new administator account, ran ccleaners, deleted my account, and defragged. i think i have a 32-bit system since x64 is not displayed in system properties. can i do this or do i have to buy a disk?

You would need to purchase Windows 7. I would do what hamluis advises and install a linux distro. Ubuntu or Mint. The lighter versions are Xubuntu and Mint Xfce.

#11 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

no, this is an old system of my fathers. do i have the wrong numbers? where should i look?

#12 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

dear sir,

this system is not equiped with a cd drive. usb's only. i am looking for the most cost effective solution.

jw

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:21 PM

It may have a factory recovery partition, if so the reload will put it back to factory specs sans all of your files.  Well worth looking into and it will have all the proper drivers.  Find the correct model then Google it to see if in fact it does have a recovery partition, if it does Alt F10 will make it like new.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Here is your Aspire one support page. Edit: In the dropdown boxes select Netbook > Aspire One > AOD250

Here is your computer user manual.

Here is the service manual.

You can do a factory reset withing Windows if you have a recovery partition.

Step 1

Click "Start | All Programs | Acer Empowering Technology." Click "Acer eRecovery Management."

Step 2

Click "Restore" and select "Restore System to Factory Default." The computer will restart and boot into the recovery utility.

You can also do a factory reset at boot. Power off the computer. Power on the computer. Hold the Alt key down and tap F10 at the Acer Logo.\

Are you interested in downloading and installing a linux distro like Ubuntu using a USB key?

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2015 - 04:34 PM.

#15 jcwrightjr

jcwrightjr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

if this is the best option for a new user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users