Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell 4550 Black Screen, Bad Mother Board?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chiphoto

chiphoto

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:57 PM

I turned my dell 4550 on today and the computer booted up, went to the flash screen (the bios/dell logo) and then went to a black screen with a cursor and then went totally black after a sec or 2. Nothing else. The LED's on the back of the computer are all green and the light on the mother board is on, so there isn't a power problem. The fans run as well. I talked with dell tech support and they ran me through all the obivious tests, and told me it was my mother board. I don't think it is. It may be, but why would I be able to access the bios if the mother board didn't work?
Should I try re-installing xp? Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

That's right, the BIOS is obviously OK if you got the logo screen. More likely is that the hard drive has file corruption of some kind. Since you can't boot the OS you can't back up your important files using this machine.

Do you have files that need to be backed up ? If so try moving the hard drive to another desktop and backing up to a CD or DVD.

Your best bet is to try to reinstall the OS.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:20 PM

If no lights at all, probably power supply.
If lights flash and fans spin, but no beep and then it just clicks off, or sits there with no drive activity, then probably processor, or maybe motherboard.
If lights flash, fans spin, single beep , and then the hard drive keeps flashing, probably dead video.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users