Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new laptop questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 paulos123

paulos123

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:47 AM

hello guys i just bought a new lenovo laptop you can find all the specs here

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/hM77fMFhSmmJE4Cvk54gjHZ

i have some questions....

first of all it has 6gb or ram but 1gb is reserved from hardware and i cant see the reason.

secondly its processor is 4 cores amd 1,8 - 2,4(turbo mode)how can i now if its using all the prosessors and when it uses the turbo mode.

finally as you can see i cant see my graphics card temperature only the one that is inside the cpu(in programs like everest and CPUID HWMonitorPro i cant see only hdd )

thanks anyway

p.s is it ok for the laptop to have the battery on when you use the power supply?

Edited by paulos123, 27 February 2015 - 11:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:28 PM

Where are you seeing 1GB of RAM is reserved?

If you scroll down in the Speccy you will find information on CPU, RAM, Motherboard, and Graphics.

If you want more detailed information download CPU-Z.

It looks like you added a second RAM module.  If you had used a matched pair modules the computer would be running in dual channel.  This would effectively make the RAM twice as fast.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

i can see that 1gb ram is reserved in task manager,performance,memory.

if i understood well you mean that my ram is not so quick?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

No, I meant that your RAM could run faster in dual channel.

Dual-channel architecture DDR/DDR2/DDR3 SDRAM describes a motherboard technology that effectively doubles data throughput from RAM to the memory controller. Dual-channel-enabled memorycontrollers utilize two 64-bit data channels, resulting in a total bandwidth of 128-bits, to move data from RAM to the CPU.

In order to run in dual channel you must have a matched pair of modules.  This is why RAM manufacturers sell modules in matched pairs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

i have some questions....

first of all it has 6gb or ram but 1gb is reserved from hardware and i cant see the reason.

secondly its processor is 4 cores amd 1,8 - 2,4(turbo mode)how can i now if its using all the prosessors and when it uses the turbo mode.

finally as you can see i cant see my graphics card temperature only the one that is inside the cpu(in programs like everest and CPUID HWMonitorPro i cant see only hdd )

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

Since you asked the question twice, I will try to give a second answer !

If I read your Speccy report correctly, the CPU is driving your video output, so that is probably why you have 1Gb of RAM reserved, and why you cannot see a separate temperature reading for your graphics. It also depends on what temperature sensors are fitted and which ones the software can read. I have a separate video card in my computer but either it has no sensor or the system cannot read it - so I have no idea what temperature it is running at. Since all my other temperatures are nominal I am not worrying about it.

The place to check how many of your cores are activated is in BIOS, but once they are all enables on that's it - there is no more reason to worry about it. If it needs all four cores it will use them, if it doesn't it won't. This is a common way of saving power and heat production on laptops. If what you are doing can be done with one core, it will only use one core. Why worry about it ?

Chris Cosgrove

#7 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

thanks for the answers.

also now speccy is showing(from time to time)my graphics card temp and hdds and cpu so its fine.

so chris you are trying to say that cause the graphics card that is coming from the cpu uses 1gb(this gb is from ram)thats why i cant use it

but my laptop has 2 graphics cards,the one with 1gb on the cpu and the other

ATI AMD Radeon™ R4 Graphics

ATI AMD Radeon R5 M230

you can check it on the speccy file...

so there is no way to unlock this 1gb of ram that is reserved?

#8 paulos123

paulos123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

also i installed pes 2015 and its playing very smooth but i see that pro recognizes the graphics card on th cpu not the other with 2gb,

so is there a way to change some settings to use my good graphics card?or its automatically done?

i just need to use the best of the graphics and resolution

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:46 PM

You can usually control some of your video functions but most of it is automatic. In desktop view look at the right hand end of the taskbar and, usually, in 'Show hidden icons' you will find one taking you to the video control panel.

I am not expert on the internal workings of laptops but my understanding is that under 'normal' graphic loads the R4 handles the load, and under heavy working conditions it switches over to the other. If you look in either the 'Internal hardware' or 'System building and upgrading' sections of BC you will find more information on this.

But what exactly are you worrying about ?  You say the computer is running smoothly. Have you ever come across the expression 'If it aint broke, don't fix it !' ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users