Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to the internet, issue with dns settings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zaria

Zaria

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me...

I'm having trouble connecting to the internet except (strangely) with skype which is somehow working perfectly.

Tried a few different browsers, none work, all I get is "This webpage is not available" and I'm unable to update any of my anti-virus/anti-malware.

There are no issues when I try to connect any other devices to this same wi fi, only my laptop has this problem.

Troubleshooted in help and got "The DNS Server isn't responding"/"Your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn't exist".

So far I've tried running command prompt as admin and putting in: ipconfig /flushdns

This didn't do anything, I've also tried switching the modem on/off and restarting.

Thanks in advance,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

Is the time and date correct to your region?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:29 AM

In addition to what dc3 just said, make sure your date and time (timezone as well) is correct for your region under Windows but also in your BIOS as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Zaria

Zaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

Hey,

Yeah I've checked, both are correct - it was working fine on my home wifi, it only started acting funny when I connected to a network at a different location...but I've connected to this network many many times without any problems :/

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

Have you tried disabling your firewall temporarily, as a test?

Have you checked for proxy servers in your browser LAN settings?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

Zaria, did you try to "forget" the network yes (completely delete it in the Saved Networks), then try reconnecting to it?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Zaria

Zaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:38 AM

Have you tried disabling your firewall temporarily, as a test?

Have you checked for proxy servers in your browser LAN settings?

Hi, yeah I did the 1st one but wasn't really sure how to do the second...

Zaria, did you try to "forget" the network yes (completely delete it in the Saved Networks), then try reconnecting to it?

Yeah, tried this too didn't work unfortunately. 

I ended up changing my dns settings to the public Google one which finally worked :guitar:, thanks anyway. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

Well glad to know that your issue was solved! :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users