Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop 64 or 32bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_26

Ben_26

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

I recently purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM in the UK i have tried to Load the installation on my Laptop

Windows 7 home premium, the adviser did explain i needed 64bit Version as i read him the system info from my Laptop explaining it's

Intel®Core™ i3-2330M CPU @2.20GHZ ( the adviser on the phone was sure i would need 64bit)

after some time back reinstalling rescue disc it appears i have 32.

I was recommended  by a respected member  of this Forum that i should use 32bit  as it would be best for my Acer Aspire 4750

It hasn't worked and says its not compatible with my system.I originally found out i have a Copy of Windows & Home Premium

that was put onto the computer a few years back in SE Asia so i never activated the key and the sales people ,i pressume,  did it .

I did have an installation disc, but no Key Number with it so that really should of been a red flag ,but i wasn't as computer savy then,

So i would assume it is a copied Version windows 7 Home Premium.the reason i found out this was when i used a rescue disc and Reinstalled after my Laptop crashed.

I had a lot of help from the forum to download Windows 7 via a Digital River ISO which after 10 days started to Nag for Activation Key number.So thats why i wanted to Start fresh with a

Legitimate Key Number and OEM .

I am confused  whether to exchange this 64bit for a 32bit or could i  change the Nagging Activation Key number and use the new OEM number i received with the 64bit OEM or wouldn't that work?

I would be very grateful for some advice please

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

- Based on this info you've got a 64 bit system and then I certainly would install the 64 bit version.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-2330M-Notebook-Processor.52200.0.html

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:50 AM

If the computer is a intel i3 it will work with either 32bit or 64bit. Did you intend to install Windows 7 to a clean hard drive or were you trying to activate the current OS with a new key?

If you intended to keep all your data on the computer and simply activate using the key from the vendor then use the key from the vendor disk to reactivate. The 64bit key will work to activate your 32bit OS. This will work if the vendors OS is identical to yours. Home Premium to Home Premium for example.

If you intend to completely wipe all current data and do and install it depends on if the vendor disk is an upgrade disk or a full OEM install disk . The WIndows 7 updgrade disk to a clean drive can be done using this guide using the key of the 64bit disk you purchased.  If the OS disk you purchased is a full OEM disk then you can install to a clean hard drive using this guide.

Edit: If you do not mind reinstalling your programs after backing up all your important data then go ahead and do a clean install with the 64bit disk you bought.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#4 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:54 AM

Hi Willy22

- Based on this info you've got a 64 bit system and then I certainly would install the 64 bit version.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i3-2330M-Notebook-Processor.52200.0.html

Hi Willy22 thanks for your help

Ben

#5 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi JohnC_21, Nice to hear from you,

I see where my confusion has come from, i simply thought i couldn't activate from a non geniune version copy of windows and

thought i would be installing from fresh to the C drive and then Activate the Key Number once i had finished. so far

when i put DVD in to install it just says not compatible its for 64bit.Think i must of down graded my system when i recently downloaded Digital River i must of used the32bit  as it was probably the only one available.

Am i wondering if i was supposed to boot in a different order rather than putting the DVD in while windows has started normally, am i firing it up wrong?

Im not sure whats the best thing to do whether to just carry on with my 32bit or  to install fresh from he Vendors new 64 Version the 64 dollar question!

Thanks for the links which i am working out which way to go I have a BTW which way would you go personally in this situation with your wealth of experiece.

Thanks for taking the time to help again best regards Ben.

Edited by Ben_26, 27 February 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:51 AM

I am kind of confused after looking at the link. It says 32/64bit one pack. I am not sure but it must mean you can either order the 32bit or 64bit, not that both versions are on the DVD but I don't know.

If you are not worried about data on the drive you can do a clean install. Did you try doing the install from within windows? That is why you got the error. You need to change the boot order in BIOS to make sure your optical drive is the first boot device. Then boot with the vendors DVD and follow the guide for doing a clean install. You will be deleting any existing partitions.

Edit: I would lean to a clean install as the Digital River iso you downloaded was not an OEM while the version you purchased is. That could lead to an activation issue when replacing the key but I am not sure. Maybe somebody else can confirm this.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2015 - 09:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users