Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Magnets & Computers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:27 PM

I'm thinking of buying a USB/Firewire HUB, and under the specifications, it says it comes with a magnetic stand attachment. I was planning on just using the HUB on top of my computer, but will the magnets affect anything inside?

Here's the product:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817111969

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

I wouldn't think so... The magnet is not powerfull enough... looks almost like a fridge magnet...

But i'm no expert this is just my two cents untill someone else more inteligent then me comes around.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:00 PM

If on top of a computer case - then it's probably not a problem if the case is steel.

But if atop the monitor then that's a bit different. You might see some problems.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:48 PM

I don't plan on putting it any where near the monitor. It would either go directly on top of the computer case (which is aluminum) or stuck on the side of it (depending on how my desk it set up and if it will even stick)

Posted Image

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:57 PM

It will distort the monitor if it gets too close, but will not have any effect on the computer itself.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:38 AM

A magnet can affect the CRTs degaussing machanisim, this will usually cause the colors to distort around the edge closest to the magnet. This is why manufacturers of computer speaker systems shield their speaker inclosures.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

I don't know why you all keep talking about monitors. I know that magnets can screw them up. I never mentioned monitors in my original post and I specifically said "I don't plan on putting it any where near the monitor."

Posted Image

#8 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

I don't know why you all keep talking about monitors. I know that magnets can screw them up. I never mentioned monitors in my original post and I specifically said "I don't plan on putting it any where near the monitor."

But if the magnets anywhere near it, it could cuase problems. I think their implying that since they and some people such as myself have their monitors very close to their Computer. Mine's 2-3 inches from my computer.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#9 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:40 AM

i used to drag magnets across my LCD monitor, just to see the color distortion :thumbsup:

tsk tsk on me.

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

You can push on it with your finger and does kind of the same thing :thumbsup:

#11 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:59 AM

not that this applies to anything, one time we i was young i thought it would be funny to rub a magnet all of the TV....but my mother didnt.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#12 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

not that this applies to anything, one time we i was young i thought it would be funny to rub a magnet all of the TV....but my mother didnt.

LOL! Thats a bad idea. Reck the grey tube in it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#13 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:26 AM

Naughty Naugty :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users