Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D610 shuts down immediately on startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alliecat

Alliecat

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:45 AM

Yes, I know, "laptop turns on then off" gives you a million pages on Google.  I've googled, I've looked at a couple of forums and this one, but I still don't know what to do.

Latitude D610, WinXP, SP3.

I was on the internet, on a site I've used before with no problem.  The laptop suddenly froze.  Couldn't get task manager; everything was frozen.  Had to shut it off with power button.  When I tried to turn it back on, the lights came on for a couple of seconds and then it shut off.  I disconnected the AC, tried to start up with battery.  Got startup screen, looked ok; popup said my internet had "limited connectivity" but everything else looked ok.  The minute I touched the pointy stick, it froze again.

Now I can't turn it on at all.  With the AC cord in, the battery-charge light blinks indicating it's charging (battery would've been close to 100% when this happened).  But with either AC (battery in or out) or on battery, I get the same thing: lights on, startup whir, then >poof< in about two seconds it shuts off.  I can't start in safe mode.  It doesn't stay on long enough.

I've vacuumed what is reachable.  I am not particularly comfortable taking the case apart, I don't have an external monitor and I don't know how to "reseat RAM modules" or recalibrate BIOS or whatever the heck the other articles were talking about... and have not found anything helpful elsewhere.

I am hoping for some easy fix (yeah, I know: ha) ... due to other circumstances I just can't cope with trying to do major repairs on this.  Obviously it's an older model, and it's had a lot of use.  Hoping it's not just worn out, and that my files would still be ok on the hard drive.

Can anyone help?  

Edited by Alliecat, 27 February 2015 - 12:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:27 AM

Try this, unplug the power adapter and completely remove the battery. Now flip it back over and hold down the power button for about 10-15 seconds. Re-install the battery and try to boot the laptop. Every once in a while this trick works, if not wait for someone else to chime in and I'm sure they will have some ideas.  Good Luck!

:smash:

#3 panthera0404

panthera0404

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

probably MBO or overheating.

first try to take it apart, replace thermal paste, clean cpu fans, and see if that works.
if not, try to remove everything i mean everything (touchpad, keyboard, stupid multimedia keys....) leave only cpu and ram, and of course power button.

if that fails.... than try this

if you know how, bake it. Take motherboard out of laptop, remove all parts(wifi, ram, CMOS battery, cpu...) put it into preheated oven(200C(385F)), bake it for 10 minutes, and then take it out. Best of luck. My score is, i baked 26 laptop MBO, success rate is 23 of 26 was fixed.

Files are ok on HDD dont worry.

if you dont know how to do that, call an expert. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users