Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer was having black outs and shut downs, now I can't get it started

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GOALentertainment

GOALentertainment

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

My other computer, not this one, began having issues where the screen would go black.  I would have to do a hard restart, and then the computer would not start back up unless I did a system restore.  Now it won't get past the "starting windows" screen and a system restore doesn't seem to help at all.

It is a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop running Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eddie7

Eddie7

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

Here are a few questions for you before we start any hardware configurations.

1. Does your computer have a sufficient power source?
2. Does your computer have an external battery?
3. How are you reformatting your computer?
4. Are you reformatting your computer and restoring the old settings during the reformat?

Please let us know. Thanks,

#3 GOALentertainment

GOALentertainment
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

1. Yes, it's plugged in.

2. The only battery my laptop has is the one that is integrated into it.

3-4. Any reformatting was through the startup repair and/or the prompt that startup repair provided for a 'system restore' which I presume is to restore old settings.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:28 PM

Tap F8 at boot. Select Repair Computer and do a Startup Repair. It may take 3 attempts to do a full repair.

#5 GOALentertainment

GOALentertainment
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:59 PM

I have run startup repair numerous times.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Do you have access to another computer with Windows 7? If you do, download Aoemi Pebuilder and run it. It will create a bootable Windows PE disk to recover any files you may need. You can run a chkdsk after file recovery to fix any system errors. Also sfc /scannow using the offline command to check for system file corruption.

I would also download Seatools for DOS and burn the iso to check for any hard drive issues.

Seatools for Dos tutorial

#7 GOALentertainment

GOALentertainment
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

To confirm: I should install Aoemi PEbuilder to a disk?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:41 PM

You can install to a CD or USB flash drive, either one. At the end of the build wizard it will ask if you want to use a disk or USB flash drive. I used the iso option and burned the iso file from within Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn disk Image.

#9 GOALentertainment

GOALentertainment
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:43 PM

I attempted to run the program onto a disk, but it froze at 95%.  It may be because my other computer (the one I'm posting from) is also having issues: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/568444/amazingly-slow-computer-and-maybe-other-issues/#entry3641125

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,198 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

I would download the iso of Parted Magic. Burn the iso file. Hopefully you can get it to burn on the computer your are posting from. Boot to the Parted Magic Desktop. You can use the File Manager to copy files to an external hard drive. It may take a bit as the naming convention is different for linux but you should not have a problem. You can also double click the Disk Health icon on the desktop and run a disk diagnostic to see if the drive is failing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users