Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to Wifi

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RBYRNES86

RBYRNES86

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

My laptop struggles to connect and stay connected to my wifi. The thing that has me puzzled is that every other device in the house(other computers, cell phones, etc.) all work perfectly fine. I have a Dell with Windows 7. What can I do to fix this problem? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

Please post the model of this Dell.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kallana

Kallana

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:45 PM

Hi,

When you say it 'struggles to connect and stay connected' to your wifi; does that mean you can browse the internet for a period of time and then the connection drops off? Or is it a case of your laptop saying it's connected but then not loading any pages?

And I'm sure you've probably already done this, but have you made sure that your drivers are up to date? :)

#4 RBYRNES86

RBYRNES86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

It is a Dell Inspiron 5537. It first started out where any time I would get on the computer and start an Internet session, one time during that session I would get the yellow triangle on my wifi signal. I'd then have to click troubleshoot in order to reestablish my connection. Lately it either won't connect at all to wifi or it will show a good signal, but will not load any pages. Any help would be appreciated as this is becoming increasingly frustrating. Thank you.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

Right click the wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties and under the details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line. If it is an intel wireless card sometimes the driver can get wonky and the latest driver update can sometimes solve the issue. It may be a bad wireless card also.

Edit: Is Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 February 2015 - 11:19 PM.

#6 RBYRNES86

RBYRNES86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:34 PM

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B1&SUBSYS_44628086&REV_73

it is Windows 64 bit as well.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

Go here and download/install the Dell Wireless 1705 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Driver  listed under Network. You should create a restore point and a System Repair Disk before updating your drivers.

#8 RBYRNES86

RBYRNES86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

Not to sound like an idiot, but I've never created a restore point or disk before. Could you elaborate?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

The restore point is used to revert the computer back before the driver install.

To create a restore point
  1. Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
  2. In the left pane, click System protection. ...
  3. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
  4. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

The System Repair Disk will allow you to use the Restore Point even if a computer does not boot. It also good to have in case you need to repair or diagnose a problem.

How to create a System Repair Disk

Using a System Repair Disk

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:01 AM

How to set a restore point.

Click on the Start orb, then right click on Computer.

In the menu that opens click on Properties.

Click on the System Protection tab, then click on Create.

In the System Protection dialog box type in a description, the date and time will be entered automatically.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 RBYRNES86

RBYRNES86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:58 PM

I tried to install the driver you mentioned 3 times and each time it said "the update installer operation is unsuccessful"

Any ideas?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

The only thing I would try at this point would be the intel native driver here. I would create the restore point and the system repair disk as I posted because I am not sure how this driver will work on your system. The wireless card also has bluetooth so I am not sure how this would affect bluetooth on your computer.

Here is the bluetooth software for the wireless adapter. I would not install it unless you have a bluetooth issue. Your system would use

BT_3.1.1311_s64.exe

Edit: If you  still have a problem connecting I would recommend a USB adapter like this.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 February 2015 - 06:20 PM.

#13 RBYRNES86

RBYRNES86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

I will try what you suggested but I've already been contemplating just buying a USB wifi adapter.

I had called dell support before posting on here and their diagnosis was my operating system was corrupt. Any validity to that or do you think they are full of crap?

Thanks for your help.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Type CMD in the search box and right click > Run As Administrator

Type:

sfc /scannow

This will attempt to fix any corrupt system files if it finds any.

#15 RossDG

RossDG

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 01 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

I recently had a similar problem and I solved it by uninstalling "Windows virtual mini wifi adapter".

You can find it in "device  manager" in the control panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users