Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 8300 Will only Boot in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tinalive

tinalive

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:37 PM

Even though I select the option to boot Normal, the system always boots in Safe Mode.

How can I escape booting into the Safe Mode portal?

Any good and tested advice will be appreciated.

I am using Windows Professional x64 with service pack 1.

If any other information will be helpful, please let me know.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

You can try the following. Press F8 at boot and select Last Know Configuration

Type Msconfig in the search box and under the Boot tab make sure Safe Mode is not checked.

How long have you had this problem? If you have a Restore Point before the problem you can do a System Restore. Any files or folders added to the desktop since the restore point will be gone so copy those to your documents folder before doing the system restore. Any programs added since the restore point would need to be re-installed.

Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator and type

sfc /scannow

This will look for any corrupt system files and replace them.

#3 tinalive

tinalive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Thank you.  I resolved this problem and was able to boot normally.

Than I ran a malware program and just selected quarantine, without really looking at what I choose to quarantine.  It was late.  No excuses.  Lesson learned.

Anyway, my computer would not boot in safe or normal mode after that.  After trying every method I could locate, I finally booted with the Dell OEM Win 7 Pro installation disk.  It does not include service Pack 1.  I do have Service Pack 1 installed.  I believe this is a new topic.

For the rest of the story check out my new posting in the Windows 7 forum.

Topic issue solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users