Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 winter is coming

winter is coming

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

The titles says it all; what is the best premium security suite in the market right now? By premium, I mean the most complete version of the antivirus program offered by a particular company, such as Kaspersky Pure, Norton 360 and Bitdefender Total Security. I am thinking of getting one for my computer, so doing a little research to gather feedback shouldn't do much harm.[/size]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Icuw1pc

Icuw1pc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Location:Milky Way Galaxy: Planet Earth: North America:South Dakota
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Get kaspersky fallowed by malwarebytes. Malwarebytes has a free version also so you wouldn't have to buy it.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:39 PM

Choosing a security suite involves many of the same questions asked when Choosing an Anti-Virus Program or Choosing a Firewall. There is no universal "one size fits all solution that works for everyone.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend either avast! Internet Security or ESET Smart Security.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Malwarebytes has a free version also so you wouldn't have to buy it.

Please note that the Free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is not an active program, and is just used as a "Clean-up tool" to use after you have already been infected.

The Pro (paid version) is the only Active version of the program.

However a Free 1 month trial of the Pro version is offered with each fresh download.

Also I agree with quietman7 on the above Antivirus version varieties -

Thank You -

#5 winter is coming

winter is coming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

Choosing a security suite involves many of the same questions asked when Choosing an Anti-Virus Program or Choosing a Firewall. There is no universal "one size fits all solution that works for everyone.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task. They tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses for each feature. In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality and more effective at what they are designed to do. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring default settings and usage.

If you are adamant about using a suite, then I would recommend either avast! Internet Security or ESET Smart Security.

I agree with your point that separate tools would be generally better to perform specific tasks, but wouldn't that cost me even more than getting a premium security suite?  For instance, I would have to subscribe to an antivirus program, purchase a firewall program, a password protection program, a Safebox program, and all the other tools that I could get for a fixed yearly fee by getting a suite.  Now, a premium security suite costs anywhere from $49.99 to $79.99 a year.  Getting each and every component separately may cost me over a 100 bucks a year.  

I am also curious as to why you would side with avast and ESET in your recommendations when the 3 companies I mentioned (Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Norton)  seem to be the most popular suites around right now, and have also won numerous awards from reputable websites for their high malware detection rates.  Could you explain what would be the advantages of the 2 suites you mentioned before I start shelling out cash?  Thank you.

#6 winter is coming

winter is coming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:36 PM

Get kaspersky fallowed by malwarebytes. Malwarebytes has a free version also so you wouldn't have to buy it.

Thanks for your recommendation, I might get the free tool as a supplement to the security suite to guard against virus attacks.

#7 winter is coming

winter is coming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:41 PM

Malwarebytes has a free version also so you wouldn't have to buy it.

Please note that the Free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is not an active program, and is just used as a "Clean-up tool" to use after you have already been infected.

The Pro (paid version) is the only Active version of the program.

However a Free 1 month trial of the Pro version is offered with each fresh download.

Also I agree with quietman7 on the above Antivirus version varieties -

Thank You -

Greetings.  Yes, I am aware of the fact that the free tool is merely a 'Clean-Up Tool'.  I have used MBAM before on an older computer of mine, and it did prove effective.  The Pro version of MBAM seems to be getting less than favourable reviews, with most websites stating that it's not worth the price tag. This is why I will be getting the free version as a supplement to the security suite/anti-virus/internet security I will be subscribing to.  Thank you. 

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:52 AM

The Pro version of MBAM seems to be getting less than favourable reviews, with most websites stating that it's not worth the price tag.

Sorry, but the program is improving all the time and 90% of sites still say it is well worth the cost.

Not sure where you got your ideas from, but I personally think they are wrong, and many here will agree -

Thank You -

#9 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:26 AM

The Pro version of MBAM seems to be getting less than favourable reviews, with most websites stating that it's not worth the price tag.

Sorry, but the program is improving all the time and 90% of sites still say it is well worth the cost.

Not sure where you got your ideas from, but I personally think they are wrong, and many here will agree -

Thank You -

I agree.  I've been running MBAM Pro simultaneously with Norton 360 on 2 Win 7x64 PC's for about 14 months without issue. 

I like the real-time MBAM protection as it detects items that Norton isn't detecting during my routine surfing.  It also is an efficient way to keep PUP's cleaned from my PC's.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I agree with your point that separate tools would be generally better to perform specific tasks, but wouldn't that cost me even more than getting a premium security suite?  For instance, I would have to subscribe to an antivirus program, purchase a firewall program, a password protection program, a Safebox program, and all the other tools that I could get for a fixed yearly fee by getting a suite.  Now, a premium security suite costs anywhere from $49.99 to $79.99 a year.  Getting each and every component separately may cost me over a 100 bucks a year.  [/size][/background]

I am also curious as to why you would side with avast and ESET in your recommendations when the 3 companies I mentioned (Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Norton)  seem to be the most popular suites around right now, and have also won numerous awards from reputable websites for their high malware detection rates.  Could you explain what would be the advantages of the 2 suites you mentioned before I start shelling out cash?  Thank you.

There are ample free alternatives which cost you nothing. All but one computer in my household has free anti-virus and anti-malware programs. I use Windows built in Firewall....no need to but anything else IMO. See these topics.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Choosing a Firewall

As far as suits, I choose avast because it works well and is free. I choose ESET as a paid version because it is light on system resources.

#11 jimcatlee

jimcatlee

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

I've used AVG Free for years as well as Avast and several other free programs. All of them let in trojans that should have been easily caught as they were "old" trojans. I found that the reviews on PC Mag are very helpful - http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/antivirus. I chose Webroot for these reasons:

• Pros

Super-fast installation includes full scan. Installed without incident on infested test systems. Scans again and again to eliminate all malware traces. Very good malware removal score. Very accurate antiphishing. Firewall manages outbound Internet access. Cannot be terminated by malicious code. Handy tools help undo system changes made by malware.

• Cons Completing malware cleanup required hours of remote-control tech support. Not compatible with some lab tests.

• Bottom Line The latest edition of Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus remains the tiniest antivirus around. Enhanced antiphishing protection and impressive malware cleanup earned it top scores. Webroot remains an antivirus Editors' Choice.

It installs quickly and does not take up a lot of space (70mb). The complete Deep Scan completes in about 1 minute and it does scan properly. I run Malwarebytes Pro with it and they both show the same scan results even though MB complete scan takes a lot longer. Another deciding factor was when I found the full version of Webroot on Amazon for $14.99 using a PC download. I had to uninstall the trial version before I could install the one I purchased at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZKNY8G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=12RZTEFTQ9YQL&coliid=I5I7GBIBXJ9NY

Hope this helps.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:46 PM

I have been disappointed with AVG ever since they made a decision in April 2010 to partner with LimeWire and promote the use of peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing, a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, and exposure of personal information.

Since the release of AVG 2011/2012/2013, there have been numerous complaints about issues and conflicts with other security tools like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Read these related discussions:Even MajorGeeks, a popular download hosting site, had issued a Statement on AVG Free 2011 and removed its Editor's Pick listing at that time.

There have been reports of issues with the computer starting properly on 64-bit Windows sytems for which AVG has had to release these fix instructions.

There have also been numerous reported problems with computers after using features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings. I do not recommend the routine use of registry cleaners/optimizers as they are extremely powerful applications that can damage the Windows registry by using aggressive cleaning routines. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from booting properly. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Please read: Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

And finally there have been many user complaints about the lack of adequate AVG Customer Support in addressing issues related to the use of their product.

For these reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.

#13 jimcatlee

jimcatlee

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

That is all great information! Thank you. :thumbsup2:

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#15 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites generally use more system resources than separate programs that do the same task.

The exception is Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete. He should read Rubenking's review at PCMag.com.

You can buy if for much cheaper from Amazon

Edited by saint satin stain, 03 February 2014 - 06:30 AM.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users