Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I get MS Office 2010 to clone 2007?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

I have made the point in a previous post that each time developers introduce a new more glitzy version of a mature piece of software / application, as often as not basic functionality suffers as the price for the addition of new gizmos.  Such in my view is the case with Outlook.  I have Office 2003 on my home  PC, 2007 on an old XP office PC (quite serviceable), but 2010 on a new office PC which I will be obliged to adopt.  The later Outlook is in basic operational terms (as set up at present at least) 'orrible.

Is it possible to retro "configure" it so that it has the appearance and feel of Outlook 2007 even if to revert to an earlier version would be asking too much?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:09 PM

Here's an article that you may find interesting

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/e9c21487-da8e-4f43-962e-227c9c35f3b8/skin-outlook-2010-to-look-like-outlook-2007?forum=outlook

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

Very interesting indeed thanks, well spotted, and I intend to follow it up tomorrow when UK lights up.  Nice to know that my backward feelings are not unique. I'd be interested to know if anyone reading this has had experience of doing what the article advocates???

I suppose that setting a restore point before doing any changes would make them reversible if the consequences turn out to be not as intended? (I use W7)

#4 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Method a and method b are above my pay grade, only method c for me.  Of these it looks like option 3 converts Outlook back to a previous version but until they answer my query there aren't many details.  Thought: Is there a standalone "Sandbox" program that I could use to run the UBitMenu in to test and have the facility to discard if the results were not up to expectations?

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:45 AM

There is an application called DeepFreeze that will literally create whole system image points... not free though. Or you could create a VM and attempt it there first.

#6 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:04 AM

Would Deep Freeze do anything that Windows 7 System Restore would not?  I have never used the latter.

VM - I suppose "V" = virtual but "M" has got me lost.  If I am that ignorant then it's probably best not to attempt it :)

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

Deep Freeze also restores all data... It restores ALL files, rather than just system files like System Restore.

A VM is a virtual machine.It's really not hard to start a virtual machine, but you made need some guidance on how to import and export your Outlook files.

In short, there is no point and shoot method to do what you are trying to do. It will be an intermediate level procedure no matter how you do it.

#8 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

No reply to my queries from the UBit people which makes me wonder if they still support their program.  I am also wondering if UBit converts just the menu structure or, as I had hoped, the whole look, format and feel of Outlook 2010 so that it clones 2007?  Has anyone ever used UBit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users