Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Vs. Intel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a new computer and I want to know which brand is better to go with.

I want to use the computer for playing the lastest games.

What do you guys think? :thumbsup:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:19 PM

AMD is like the best for gaming. Unfortunately, with Intel's new Conroe microarchitecture, AMD has been shown the way to the crapper. But that doesn't necessarily mean that AMD won't come up with a counter-attack, which it has. Truthfully, I would say wait out for a few more months and read all the benchmarks, then make your decision. Why? Because, it's just like when the MHz wars were going in the '90's. They came up with this, so we should come up with this. IMO, wait till the dust settles a bit.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:23 PM

I agree AMDs are the best choice for games. I am currently using an Atlon 64 dual core 4800+ and it wrks so much better thn the P4.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

AMD is the best when it comes to processors today. [H] AMD Athlon 64 X2 Preview Check that site out for more details. Which company are you going to buy your computer from?

3939.png

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

Well last year I put in a AMD 3200 64 bit(was big for then still is really) and it works great over all the p4's I have used. They say when you click on something "Oh you want me to open that" lol and AMD says Bam and its there.

I like AMD it seems to be a good chip maker. They have higher benchmarks.

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:11 PM

I still have never had to replace an AMD cpu but i have replace my pentiums a few times

-Steve

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:13 PM

I've always liked AMD better (those stupid "disco"commericals for intel annoyed the heck out of me)
and something to read
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060622143710.html

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:38 AM

Even though Intel will offer the new Core 2 very soon AMD probably has something waiting in the wings to be released. AMD almost always hits them hard with their own version of the new technology. I.e. Dual core 64 bit technology.

3939.png

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:18 AM

AMD is better this month Intel is better the next month. Don't do any decisions until the end of July at the earliest.

I doubt AMD has anything up its sleeve capable of catching up with Core 2 coming out this year.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 MathsDude

MathsDude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:23 AM

Well i was gonna answer but it seems evry1 has responded with the smae answer.......
Well AMD if u ask me :thumbsup:
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

#11 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

AMD does have a secret wepon up it's sleeves, but most definitely it, will not match the prowess of the Core 2 Duo. I am not one to take sides in computer hardware, but AMD has been pulling through.

Edited by legoman786, 28 June 2006 - 04:58 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:23 AM

The rate at which CPU's are being developed is just staggering. I read that in 2007 or 2008, the AMD processors may have four cores and a alot more.

3939.png

#13 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:39 AM

AMDs are better quality then Intells. I think that AMD does have a trick up its sleeve. Personally I think Intells are overrated. The new Core 2 Duo is nice though but AMD will make a better one lol.

Just my thoughts

-Steve

#14 MathsDude

MathsDude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 29 June 2006 - 04:50 AM

yeah fashion and being cool has overated things like intels ipods and macbooks and etc..........
Thats y intel is so popular. But the fact remains that AMd are so much better cos they know they r gd. They havent got a point to prove unlike intels with all their adverts n attemps to get noobs to buy their stuff :thumbsup:

:flowers:
MathsDude
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

#15 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

Exactly, take a look at the way Intel and AMD handled Dual Core technology. AMD integrated the cores into one chip, Intel essentially "glued" two cores together. This shows, in my opinion, that AMD has a very good R&D dept.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users