Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan install help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rainbrew

Rainbrew

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:26 PM

I've decided to upgrade my standard i7-2600k fan to a (maybe) Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, due to noise problems with the standard fan. And other than the fact that I know that the 159mm fan will fit inside my Tracer Olymp TRO-413 computer case I have no clue as to what steps I should take. Do I have to apply some sort of cooling paste? I know that my motherboard has 1155 sockets and that's basically it. So what are the steps for mounting such a fan? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:41 PM

It looks like there is a good video on youtube for mounting that cpu cooler.  You can also get the arctic silver and arctic clean from newegg.  Or wherever. 

Make sure you clean all the old paste off the top of the processor with the cleaning kit.

Get some vinyl gloves from hardware store and pick up some coffee filters from the store to use to apply the thermal paste instead of qtips.  Put a small amount of arctic silver on the base of the heatsink and rub it in and around the base to fill any micro gaps.  Rub it completely off with the coffee filter.  Then follow the video for applying the compound onto the cpu.  You will have to take the entire motherboard out to put on the mounting bracket.  Be sure you properly ground yourself before reaching in and around the computer.  There should be no need for you to take out the cpu just leave it in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

#3 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:37 AM

Best BrAND is yah Artic Silver

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:40 AM

It looks like there is a good video on youtube for mounting that cpu cooler.  You can also get the arctic silver and arctic clean from newegg.  Or wherever. 

Make sure you clean all the old paste off the top of the processor with the cleaning kit.

Get some vinyl gloves from hardware store and pick up some coffee filters from the store to use to apply the thermal paste instead of qtips.  Put a small amount of arctic silver on the base of the heatsink and rub it in and around the base to fill any micro gaps.  Rub it completely off with the coffee filter.  Then follow the video for applying the compound onto the cpu.  You will have to take the entire motherboard out to put on the mounting bracket.  Be sure you properly ground yourself before reaching in and around the computer.  There should be no need for you to take out the cpu just leave it in.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I really didn't do any of that, even though I struggled to install my heat sink and fan. I guess that in the long run I just had a lot of luck because right now my CPU is running between 26 degrees and 30 degrees Celsius, which I find to be acceptable.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

I really didn't do any of that, even though I struggled to install my heat sink and fan. I guess that in the long run I just had a lot of luck because right now my CPU is running between 26 degrees and 30 degrees Celsius, which I find to be acceptable.

If you used the stock cooler that came with your processor, there is no need to use thermal paste. Those coolers come with patches of a thermal compound on them already - which melts and spreads on it's own after mounting.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:59 PM

If you used the stock cooler that came with your processor, there is no need to use thermal paste. Those coolers come with patches of a thermal compound on them already - which melts and spreads on it's own after mounting.

Accept that I had never installed anything like this and I did not understand the directions. Because I did not understand the directions I fought with the unit, installed it and wasted the factory installed paste, and then had to re-install it two more times. It was my first build and things worked out OK in the end, but I sure made a mess there for a little while.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:15 PM

In that case, if you ever do see your CPU temperatures running high, you have an idea of what the cause might be.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

In that case, if you ever do see your CPU temperatures running high, you have an idea of what the cause might be.

Yes, you're right about that. I am definitely watching my temp. but everything seems fine. The good thing is that certainly learned a lesson.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users