Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen after using combo fix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 naolssloan

naolssloan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

Let me start of by saying I love this site and all the info it has.Ok.. I have used combo fix over 50 times with O issues. If it ever hangs up I would exit out and run again and it would work. Today it hung up on stage 4 so I exited out and went to go start up again and it said that combo fox was expired!?!? And thatI could run it in a lesser mode. I opted and it just closed. Went to run it again and it had vanished. Program was gone. So I went to system restore and restored it back to the last restore point which was right before the combofix hangup. It did crashing and then the screen went black and stayed black. Went to reboot and still black. No opening.g windows screen no nothing. Just black. I have read everyone saying don't run combo fix unless someone is there walking you through it. I guess the fact that I had did it do many times in thepast it gave me false confidence. I just wish the program didn't expire so i could have run it again at that point and not have this situation. I'm clueless now. Does anyone have a clue on what to do from here?

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2015 - 12:33 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 naolssloan

naolssloan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:13 PM

Stupid auto correct.. System restore did its thing like its would always do when you restore it but then the screen went black.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 18,616 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hi noalssloan :)

I suggest you to read quietman's ComboFix thread here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

Every questions you're having will have their answers there and yes it's true, ComboFix shouldn't be used unless you were trained to use it or you are under the supervision of a trainer member. Are you able to boot in Safe Mode or not?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

unite_blue.png
Technical Support, Tier 2 | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | R&D at Certly | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

This is one of the reasons why we recommend not to use ComboFix on your own. There are risks involved and we would prefer it if someone (a trained expert) who knows how to resolve any issues that may arise when running the tool, is supervising it's use.

As a general policy, Bleeping Computer does not offer advice on how to run ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it or if there is a problem with the computer caused by running the tool. We recommend that people should not be using ComboFix without being advised to do so by a trained expert (see here) who is assisting them deal with a malware problem. When issues arise due to complex malware infections, problems running ComboFix (i.e. stalling, hanging, crashing) or with other security tools causing conflicts, experts are usually aware of them and can advise what should or should not be done while providing individual assistance. When false detections are identified, experts have access to the developer and can report them so he can investigate, confirm and make corrections. Those attempting to use ComboFix on their own do not have such information and are at risk when running the tool in an unsupervised environment.

While our policy is not to offer advice on running ComboFix unless we asked someone to run it, we are willing to assist with resolving problems caused after using it and we are certainly willing to help with malware disinfection. If that assistance requires running ComboFix, you will be advised what to do in order to get the tool to run properly or investigate any error messages.

If you need individual assistance with a malware infection, please follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

If ComboFix was able to produce a log (ComboFix.txt), include it in your new topic. If you're not sure where to find the log, it will should have been saved it to the root directory (%SystemDrive%), usually C:\ComboFix.txt. To retrieve the log, launch Windows Explorer, navigate to the root directory and double-click on it to open in Notepad...then copy and paste it's contents in your new topic.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users