Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop does not shut down properly

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Happyholidays

Happyholidays

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:18 AM

Hello,

I have one issue with my laptop (Windows 7, Service Pack 1). Thank you so much for your time and help in advance!

This issue has occurred in the last week, and I have no recollection of what made this issue to occur suddenly. My laptop does not properly hibernate or shut down - and it began to take like ten minutes to get turned off. When I restart the computer, moreover, I get a black screen and get asked if I want to start a computer normally or in safe mode. When I choose to start a computer normally, I get a pop-up notice after the computer screen gets launched that "Windowns has recovered from an unexpected shutdown" with two choices: "check for solution" or "cancel."

Below this screen, there is some information regarding the problem, and I duplicate only the top part here (there are many, but I cannot copy and paste).

"Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: Blue Screen

US Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033"

Once I click on "check for solution," it takes a minute or so to lauch a regular computer screen. I can then use my laptop as usual.

Moreover, I performed this "enabling" hibernation as suggested here, but the problem still persists.

I also looked at potential problems suggested here, and I wonder if an issue is the lack of memory in my hardware. My RAM is 4GB, and the remaining free hard disk drive (C drive) is 23.9GB out of 149GB (I have almost unused D drive of 134GB). But, my situation does not really fit into the problem described there.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Again, thank you for your time and assistance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EnvMatt

EnvMatt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Have you tried to start the computer in safemode and then shutting down/restarting from there? I would be curious if the issue occurs from safe mode. 

Have you installed any windows updates or new software recently? If so what were those items that were installed? 

Have you noticed any other odd behavior or performance issues? 

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:25 PM

If this has only started in the last week or so I would do a 'System restore'. This restores your system to the condition it was in at the date of the restore point you use.

To do this, click 'Start - Control panel - Recovery'. You will then see a big button 'Open system restore' - click on this to bring up the restore dialogue box. The main box will probably contain one or two restore points - the most recent - and if one of them precedes the start of your problem select it and continue with the restore process. If the dates in the box do NOT precede your problem, at the bottom left there is another button 'More restore points'. Click on this and choose the latest one before your problem started, then continue.

You will get a couple of warnings such as 'This is permanent' and 'This cannot be interrupted'. Just accept them and let the system do its thing. When it finishes, it may re-boot your system automatically, if it doesn't, re-boot anyway and see if your problem is resolved. If it isn't, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Happyholidays

Happyholidays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:03 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your time and help! Well, this issue is still continuing and I feel like it is even getting worse after I tried a system restore. It does not necessarily even shut down even when I click on "shut down" button! It restarts instead. It also seems to me that the oldest restore point date/time available was after the problem started (but I did system restore anyway). My memory is not too clear as to what might have triggered this issue a couple of weeks ago. It may have been an installation of a driver or two via DriverMax around that date. In fact, I think I installed a few drivers around then.

"Have you tried to start the computer in safe mode and then shutting down/restarting from there?": I tried to, but now it doesn't seem to shut down. Wihen I pulled the plug and restarted the computer while pushing down F7/F8 buttons, it did not even go into safe mode (it happened more than once)! It just normally restarted.

I will appreciate your suggestions!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,217 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

Do you know what drivers were installed ?  If you do, I would be inclined to revert to the previous version where possible.  I would also be inclined to uninstall DriverMax.

The simplest way to get to your devices to see if you have any problems with them is to click 'Start', then RIGHT click on 'Computer', then click 'Manage'. This will bring up a dialogue box where you will see 'Device Manager'. If you then click on 'Device Manager' this will bring up a list of all the devices on your computer in categories. Click on the '+' beside each category to expand it, repeat if necessary, and any devices with problems will have a yellow exclamation mark on them, or - if I remember rightly - a red cross if it isn't working at all.

Double click on any item that has a fault mark against it. In the dialogue box that opens you will see an entry 'Drivers'. Select this and you will see a button 'Rollback driver' and clicking on this will re-install the previous driver..

The reason I say I would be inclined to uninstall DriverMax is that the best place to obtain drivers for devices on your computer is either from the web-site of the computer manufacturer or from the manufacturer of the device itself. Also, unless a driver is causing a problem, they do not need to be replaced / updated in the way you update an OS or security products as old - but working - drivers do not pose a security risk. It's the old saying 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it !'.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 EnvMatt

EnvMatt

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

I believe that Chris is correct. I would uninstall the DriverMax Software, but before you do, see if there is any logs in there that can say what changes it made. It is also possible that this software may allow you to revert the changes. After looking up some stuff on DriverMax, some sites are listing it as a Potentially Unwanted Program. I think that a driver change sounds like the likely culprit.

From your last reply it seems that the computer has become more unstable. Do you have any information on that computer that you have not backed up? If so I would recommend backing up anything just to be safe. 

#7 Happyholidays

Happyholidays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

Hi Chris and EnvMatt,

Thank you so much for your time and suggestions. I will uninstall DriverMax. The only driver I was able to find to be not working (yellow exclamation mark) was "avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport". I tried to roll back the driver, but this option was not clickable. The other options were, including uninstall and update driver software. Please advise.

I also opened my DriverMax to see if I can restore to the point mid-February when I did not have this shut-down issue. First, it has an option of driver rollback. However, I cannot tell which drivers I installed in mid-February that are causing the shut-down problem. Should I roll back all the two-dozen drivers on the list?

Second, there is a restore point option in DriverMax. The earliest restore point in DriverMax is, however, February 27.

Third, there is also an option of "Restore Driver from Backup". I apparently did not back up anything. It does not yield any backup files.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,217 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

To resolve the firewall driver you could try bringing up the Avast control panel and running 'Update'.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Happyholidays

Happyholidays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:22 PM

Hi Chris,

Thank you! I rolled back all the DriverMax drivers, and it seems like the problem went away! I feel the computer now shuts down the way it used to do a few weeks ago. 

However, I could not update the "avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport" driver (computer > Manage > Device Manager). It says Windows cannot find a driver software. I wonder how important this driver is.

Thank you again!

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,217 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

To misquote the automated telephone response line "Your firewall is important to YOU !".

To satisfy yourself that your firewall is working properly you can check on your Avast control panel in 'Windows Firewall' in control panel, and see if you have any warning flags at the right hand end of your taskbar. The Windows Firewall should say that it is disabled in favour of the Avast one. If you are in any doubt about the way your Avast firewall is working disable it and use the Windows one until you have checked on the Avast web-site or on their forums.

I use the free version of Avast so I don't have their firewall, so I can't offer an opinion on how important this driver is.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Happyholidays

Happyholidays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks again. I basically have Windows' firewalls on (Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall), and I don't think avast! Firewall is the main one. I can see their "active protection" shields for file system, mail, and web, though. So, I don't really see avast control panel in Windows Firewall, and I don't really see any warning flags there. So, I don't know if this is ok or following your directions.

Thanks.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,217 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:54 PM

If you are using the Windows firewall you don't need any other - one at a time is enough. Any more causes conflicts. You get to the Avast control panel either by clicking twice on the desktop icon or on the icon in the taskbar, that is where you will find out if there are any Avast updates outstanding. You definition files should be updating automatically two or three times a day without you having to worry about them.

I may have misunderstood your post - if you are not using the Avast firewall then you don't have to worry about files missing from it.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 Happyholidays

Happyholidays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks. Yes, I use Windows Firewall as the main firewall, and avast! is updating itself automatically (it says "everything is good"). But, how can we understand the avast! Firewall NDIS Filter Miniport still has the yellow exclamation mark (under "Network Adapters" when I click on "Computer," "Manage", and "Device Manager")?

Otherwise, I feel my laptop now shuts down, hibernates, and gets started the way it used to do until a few weeks ago. So, I thank you for that.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,217 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

I'm guessing here, but was the paid for version of Avast ever installed on this computer ?  If so, this could just be a leftover fragment. Since you are NOT using the Avast firewall, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm glad your other problems appear to have been resolved - I wish some of mine were !

Chris Cosgrove

#15 Happyholidays

Happyholidays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2015 - 07:42 PM

Hi Chris,

Thank you so very much! But, I don't think I have ever installed paid avast.

Best wishes!

P.S., You can close our exchanges now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users