Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7x64 ERUNT & UAC issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smipx013

smipx013

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:54 AM

Hi All,

I run a computer repair shop and fix viruses and malware on peoples machines.  I have a new problem on one specific machine that I have never seen before.

I am trying to use ERUNT to create some backups of a customers registry on a Windows 7 x64 system (fully patched) but am running into an access denied error message.  I can fix this by turning off UAC and all is well and ERUNT works.

I am running the latest version 1.1j

I was lead to understand from the FAQ's and readme that this was only a problem in Windows Vista but I seem to be suffering the exact symptoms in Windows 7.  Is this a known problem?

I have checked the permissions on the Windows folders and permissions on the registry HKLM/Software and they are as they should be (against a reference VMWare image).

thanks

Paul

Edited by hamluis, 26 February 2015 - 09:58 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:40 PM

Yep, known issue: Do ERUNT and NTREGOPT run on Windows 7?
Erunt hasn't been updated/upgraded since October of 2005.

Try using Tweaking.com - Registry Backup:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html
alternate download:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/registry-backup/

It will make the process easier.

#3 smipx013

smipx013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:18 AM

Hi,

Silly me!!!

I was reading that and looked at the vista bit and then saw the first line of the 7 bit and assumed it worked okay.  I should read more carefully.

Sorry to waste your time.  I will look at using tweaking.com's tool instead going forward.

What about other tools and batch files that integrate/call ERUNT (like combofix for example).  Do they tweak the UAC prior to running the ERUNT piece and therefore work fine or does one need to turn off UAC for them too?  If so then I've learned someting today.

Cheers,

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users