Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP and Graphics Card Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sw1m

sw1m

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:33 AM

OK, just as the title says I'm pretty confused about which graphics card would be compatible with my computer.  I understand that the system I am running is pretty old and even with some of the best upgrades available I still could probably not run high end games that are being released today.  But there are some games that I would like to play and I have most of the minimum requirements EXCEPT a decent graphics card. Please bare in mind that I am on a very low budget and cannot afford to buy a new computer.  The computer specs are as follows:

Dell Dimension DIM3000

Intel ®

Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

2.79GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Graphics Card:  Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

Processor:  x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz

If you need any more specs please let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

Hello, and welcome, 

Your system is old indeed, and as far as I can tell, you're running the integrated graphics controller. The good news is that there is room for improvement, but before that - can you tell me what is your PSU output, since graphics cards can consume more than 200watts. Once you define how much can your PSU handle, what can fit your case and what is your budget - you can choose a decent graphics card. 
Keep in mind that any PCI Video Card with around 512MB would be quite enough. If you go for a more powerful one, most likely your processor will become a bottleneck.  
Let me know if you have any more questions, I will try my best to give advice, 

Citizen_WD

#3 sw1m

sw1m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

Well I'm a bit confused on exactly what you need to know so I will just write what I saw on the power supply.

MODEL: NPS-205KB F

INPUT:         100-200V ~/9.0A

200-240V ~/4.5A

OUTPUT:      +5V ***/22.0A

250W MAX   +12V ***/16.0A

+5VSB ***/2.0A

MAX COMBINED POWER ON +5V AND +3.3V OUTPUT IS 170W

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:14 PM

If you plan to upgrade to windows 7 or 8 you can do the following to support DX11:

The good news is that this computer uses a standard ATX power supply ... the bad news is you will need to buy one in order to get a good video card that supports DX 11 (which you want.)

So here is my suggestion for the PSU

And here is my suggestion for the video card / PCI. GPU

If you DONT plan to upgrade your OS then it won't support anything more than DX 9 anyway so your choice is easier and

Here is my suggestion for PCI GPU upgrade / no new power supply needed

Hope this helps !

#5 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

These were exactly the parameters I was asking for and @YeahBleeping couldn't have said it better. And I want to add, just so that there won't be any disappointments - even with a good graphics card, demanding and mostly open-world games will probably lag because of the processor. In fact, I'm having such a problem at the moment with my own PC, despite having more ram and a dual-core processor. Anyway - I wish you the best of luck and many fun hours of playing.

Citizen_WD

#6 sw1m

sw1m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:29 PM

If you plan to upgrade to windows 7 or 8 you can do the following to support DX11:

The good news is that this computer uses a standard ATX power supply ... the bad news is you will need to buy one in order to get a good video card that supports DX 11 (which you want.)

So here is my suggestion for the PSU

And here is my suggestion for the video card / PCI. GPU

If you DONT plan to upgrade your OS then it won't support anything more than DX 9 anyway so your choice is easier and

Here is my suggestion for PCI GPU upgrade / no new power supply needed

Hope this helps !

Thanks, you did help me quite a bit.  Now to just decide whether I want to upgrade or not.

These were exactly the parameters I was asking for and @YeahBleeping couldn't have said it better. And I want to add, just so that there won't be any disappointments - even with a good graphics card, demanding and mostly open-world games will probably lag because of the processor. In fact, I'm having such a problem at the moment with my own PC, despite having more ram and a dual-core processor. Anyway - I wish you the best of luck and many fun hours of playing.

Citizen_WD

Yeah I can see what you are saying, even when I'm just trying to multi task simple programs there's quite a big of lag and I assume that's becuase of the processor.  I know it's a completely different topic, but would it be worth upgrading the processor? Or at that point would I be better off buying a new small computer.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

Unfortunately anything you could upgrade with won't give you much in the realm of ' this feels faster' The newer processors of today use a different connector to the mainboard so.  I am not even sure what you could upgrade to on that old thing.

Even if you got a lower end core I3 or the midrange core I5 system it would be MUCH faster than your old one.

And since you are not really a power gamer you could simply go with Onboard intel graphics the newer motherboards have onboard graphics that arn't bad.  Of course nothing like the speed of a discreet video card.  But you could try it before and see if everything works and then if not then you could upgrade to a better video card.  You can head over to a place like buy.com or magicmicro.com and look at their systems and tweek one to your satisfaction they are reasonably priced and I have purchased from magicmicro and am satisfied with their systems.

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:14 AM

a gt730 might work in that config if your mobo has the x16 pci slot, but as stated above, the old pentium 4 processors are really in the nostalgiac hall of shame in modern times  and really aren't good to invest around. although the popular vote will be to get a new PC with the newer cpus, i definitely understand how a user might want to stick with what works for them . i kept my old p4 XP machine puting along and stuck an antiquated  9800gt in it and it ran sweet and still does, that card draws 110 watts though unlike the 35 watts for the 730. anyway, i found this 730, but will link the PC part picker array also you definitely want the gddr5 version. the 730 is about as nimble as the older gt640 with less power draw.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127830&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

and the others:

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=175

Edited by synergy513, 04 March 2015 - 12:27 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users