Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown device in DHCP client table?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AnthonyY

AnthonyY

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Hi, when I was looking at the DHCP client table in my router, I found an unknown android device. The router is provided by my ISP and have horrible wifi range, so I plugged it into my own wifi router, which shows up as the first IP address on the DHCP table ( 192.168.12.100 ), and has a constant expire time of 0:00:00. However, it also showed an android device with an expire time of 13 hours, which is odd because I have set the ISP router to ethernet routing and set the SSID to be hidden; also, I checked the DHCP table of my own router and all my devices are accounted for and the unknown device does not appear on it. I pushed the reset button on the ISP router, and now the DHCP table only shows my router, however, if I ping the address that the unknown android device had (192.168.12.101), I can still get a response, arp -a shows nothing, and if I type 192.168.12.101 into my browser, I get ERR CONNECTION REFUSED, instead of TIMED OUT when I tested 192.168.12.102 and up. The only other thing I have plugged into the ISP router is a powerlink, which does not connect to any android devices.

What is causing this? Could my wifi be hacked ( I reset all my routers and passwords about 15 days ago since i got paranoid from seeing an unknown appleTV option in airplay, and there are no appleTVs in the household)? I forgot to record the MAC address and the host name of the android device before I reset my ISP router, is there any way I can view it (Can still ping it, and chrome returns connection refused instead of timeout)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:08 PM

Who is your ISP? What is the make and model of the router you plugged in?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 AnthonyY

AnthonyY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:16 PM

Who is your ISP? What is the make and model of the router you plugged in?

ISP: CIK Tel, some small ISP in Toronto that rents from Rogers
ISP Router: SVG6000RW by Star net, it's a cheap default router that the ISP claims must be used in order to prevent being billed from Rogers

My Router: Linksys E3200

#4 AnthonyY

AnthonyY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Ok, after some testing with pinging and unplugging, it turns out the culprit is a Linksys Powerline adapter, which for some reason uses an android host name.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Glad you found it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users